LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GXP knocking/thumping from rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GXP knocking/thumping from rear

I just started noticing this when the weather got really cold and snowy about 2 months ago. Over any sorts of bumps, big or small, I get a knocking sound from the right rear of the car. Sounds like inside the trunk. Basically it sounds like that material that makes up the walls of the trunk is hitting off of something but it's not that (even though the material moves). I started pushing down on the back of the car with the trunk open and it's definitly in that right side. It's really quiet when I push down manually but driving over any sort of speed bump, pot hole, etc. you can really hear it... as if something is inside the trunk and wobbling around. Any ideas?? Struts?

A week ago I hit a train track at a good rate of speed and the *** end bottomed out really hard and it pretty much transferred this knocking noise to the center of the car for a week and now it's back to just the right side. Any help is appreciated. Should also mention it doesn't seem to do it if there's someone sitting in the back seat... at least I don't hear it and no one has said they heard it.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

my 97 gtp did that when the strut mount was broken. was a pretty common issue on thoes.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Let the hooker outta the trunk, she's gettin cold back there!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Teching In

so did you figure it out cause im starting to get the same problem maybe strut mount?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is most likely you rear stabilizer end links. Replace them as a pair, I recommend the Moog problem solver replacements for your car.
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Hey guys I've been busy so I haven't been able to reply. No I never found out what it was. It actually hasn't been doing it lately. A friend suggested the fluid might just get thick when it's cold in the struts so i dunno. If it does it in the summer i'll get it looked at since I never wanna do anything with my car in this s*itty winter weather anyway lol
Old 03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Mine was doing it when I bought and I changed the rear sway bar links and it stopped.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 07 GXP
Mine was doing it when I bought and I changed the rear sway bar links and it stopped.
Ya that's what i'm wondering it is because it slightly makes the noise if i push the car from the side

Quick Reply: GXP knocking/thumping from rear