LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Help Coolant Leak (Not Water Pump)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Coolant Leak (Not Water Pump)

So tonight I put my car up on the lift to rotate tires. Took the tires off and went to go eat dinner. Came back and the garage floor was wet and had I a few drips of coolant on the floor. So started tracing the leak. It appears to be leaking from the front of engine (towards pulleys) towards firewall (passenger rear of the engine compartment). It is dripping from the serp belt tensioner and the oil pan bolts.
View looking in from passenger wheel well

Looking outward towards passenger wheel

Oil pan bolt dripping coolant

It is definitely not coming from the water pump. Front of engine (towards front of car) is dry. I changed the water pump at 75,500 miles and I am at 95,800 miles (still on original trans too). I did not drive the car today all I did was move it into my lift bay so it was not up to temp. I did not have a lot of time to dig into it as I have to drive it tomorrow. I will have more time to dig into it this weekend.

From what I can see the rear head seems to be dry (at least what I can see of it). It is not leaking badly but is dripping fairly constantly. Heads have never been off. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could still be the water pump, based on the location and even the mileage. When these pumps begin to fail, they can actually suck air before the leak, which builds pressure in the cooling system. The weak link, be it the pump or something else will start to leak.

Pressure test the cooling system for several hours and you'll find your culprit.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Could still be the water pump, based on the location and even the mileage.
Water pump was replaced just over 20,000 miles ago with a Delco water pump but after looking at it again tonight I believe that it is the crossover pipe that goes between the heads (large aluminum piece that the water pump bolts into). Looks like this may be the culprit. Has anyone had to replace the gasket for this crossover pipe? Is it possible with the engine in the car? Looks tight.

As a side note my mom has a G6 and had a coolant leak and the crossover pipe was the culprit on her car too.

Quick Reply: Help Coolant Leak (Not Water Pump)