LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

New LS4 Intake Mani Option

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
Ahhhhh so this isnt a custom aluminum piece from scratch, this is a reworked truck manifold. I see now, i was wondering why it looked so much like the truck manifold, wasnt sure from the picture if it was composite or aluminum or not.
exactly. It's just shaved and made to fit. Nothing that special honestly just takes a lot of time. I never made a write up trying to do something unique but I guess that isn't gonna be the case anymore. Maybe it's time for that write up.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 91parkave
also i would not be using a cast aluminum intake, once that ****** is heatsoaked your not going to continue to make good power with it. Composite is the way of the future for a reason unless were talking high boost applications
that theory was dismissed pretty readily by one of the mods (jimmyblue) on here. The manifold may get hotter then the composite version, but the air won't. composites are the way of the future, yes, but not for heatsoak reasons, manufacturing cost, light weight, and ease of production for complex designs.

"At WOT you have no "time over target" to heat the air
in. Even if the manifold is "heat soaked". If you want to
cut down on that, run your fans full time like I do.

The fin surface area of your radiator is about 5000 square
inches. The surface area of the manifold runner is about
25 square inches more or less. I figured up that at 500CFM
your air spends under 5 milliseconds in the runner.

I spent some time tonight pulling heat transfer calcs
off the Interwebs, and it looks like an aluminum runner
of our geometry and 100C (212F, hotter than water
jacket if you're smart) will push 68 watts (yeah) of
heat and raise the air temp 1.9 degrees (yeah) along
its length.

Feel free to check my work.

Pro Products had lousy gaskets originally, they gave me
the better ones free for the asking when I bought the
85mm new, and found it had the old style. I had no leak
or fit-up problems.

I port-matched my LS6 heads and the Typhoon ports
to the gaskets they sent me. I didn't dig any deeper
on the intake. But it has a removable bottom plate if
you felt the need.
"
Old 08-10-2015, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
exactly. It's just shaved and made to fit. Nothing that special honestly just takes a lot of time. I never made a write up trying to do something unique but I guess that isn't gonna be the case anymore. Maybe it's time for that write up.
Kinda makes the 1500+ dollar price tag even more absurd now knowing that its just a modified TBSS manifold. lol At that price point you'd be better off with a set of PRC CNC 5.3 heads and an LS6 intake.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kinda makes the 1500+ dollar price tag even more absurd now knowing that its just a modified TBSS manifold. lol At that price point you'd be better off with a set of PRC CNC 5.3 heads and an LS6 intake.
I have a fraction of that in mine. I made decent gains with the small inlet one. It's not a TBSS intake that is what Marshall has. But keep in mind this comes with rails..and good ones and hardware to make it totally bolt on offsetting some of the cost. Not to mention the hours of work it takes to make it that smooth and put a finish on it.

Last edited by xxtheshockerxx; 08-10-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thats a 5.3 in a truck, cant use that as a good comparison, i wanna see what this does on an LS4
What? It's still the same motor except his heads were less efficient. Not one person has done a dyno for a ls4 back to back on different manifolds being the only mod.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

What? It's still the same motor except his heads were less efficient. Not one person has done a dyno for a ls4 back to back on different manifolds being the only mod.
He says right int he first post the test was done with an 04 LQ4 block...and in the 8th post someone says "I wonder what this would do on a 5.3". Gonna be a big difference in power on a 6.0 block...
Old 08-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Kinda makes the 1500+ dollar price tag even more absurd now knowing that its just a modified TBSS manifold.
Its not the TBSS manifold, the TBSS manifold doesn't fit the LS4 without modifying the power steering pump. Keep in mind the $999 option as well, would probably be best if they were flip flopped on the website.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:56 AM

He says right int he first post the test was done with an 04 LQ4 block...and in the 8th post someone says "I wonder what this would do on a 5.3". Gonna be a big difference in power on a 6.0 block...
Yes true, i stand corrected on the displacment however the statement still stands true, The 5.3 was still equipped with the same intake in the later years, and gains are seen im sure if i felt like looking more into a memeber would post the dyno results however seeing that there is a pretty substantial gain seen on the dyno oon a stock 6.0 we would also see that just not as much.but gain is a gain, the most important part is that the gains were throughtout the RPM range for the tbss, the older truck intakes do not have that advantage

that theory was dismissed pretty readily by one of the mods (jimmyblue) on here. The manifold may get hotter then the composite version, but the air won't. composites are the way of the future, yes, but not for heatsoak reasons, manufacturing cost, light weight, and ease of production for complex designs.

"At WOT you have no "time over target" to heat the air
in. Even if the manifold is "heat soaked". If you want to
cut down on that, run your fans full time like I do.

The fin surface area of your radiator is about 5000 square
inches. The surface area of the manifold runner is about
25 square inches more or less. I figured up that at 500CFM
your air spends under 5 milliseconds in the runner.

I spent some time tonight pulling heat transfer calcs
off the Interwebs, and it looks like an aluminum runner
of our geometry and 100C (212F, hotter than water
jacket if you're smart) will push 68 watts (yeah) of
heat and raise the air temp 1.9 degrees (yeah) along
its length.

Feel free to check my work.

Pro Products had lousy gaskets originally, they gave me
the better ones free for the asking when I bought the
85mm new, and found it had the old style. I had no leak
or fit-up problems.

I port-matched my LS6 heads and the Typhoon ports
to the gaskets they sent me. I didn't dig any deeper
on the intake. But it has a removable bottom plate if
you felt the need.
"
This is pure WOT discussion which nobody will argue with but going WOT 2% of the time while the rest youre not is the point. theres a reason why it is cheap and not popular as the rest of the LS intakes
Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes true, i stand corrected on the displacment however the statement still stands true, The 5.3 was still equipped with the same intake in the later years, and gains are seen im sure if i felt like looking more into a memeber would post the dyno results however seeing that there is a pretty substantial gain seen on the dyno oon a stock 6.0 we would also see that just not as much.but gain is a gain, the most important part is that the gains were throughtout the RPM range for the tbss, the older truck intakes do not have that advantage

This is pure WOT discussion which nobody will argue with but going WOT 2% of the time while the rest youre not is the point. theres a reason why it is cheap and not popular as the rest of the LS intakes
Right, but overkill just posted that its not the TBSS manifold, so the gains would be even less. More on par with the normal truck manifold. If it is using the normal truck manifold, then it produces significantly less horsepower compared to the LS6 and even the speedmaster/PP typhoon. Granted it produces a few more ft lbs in the middle of the RPM band, but the low end still suffers. Now the overkill truck manifold might be ported, but the argument can be made that a ported speedmaster or LS6 would produce similar gains as porting the truck manifold, and much better results in the end run, for a fraction of the cost.

Cast aluminum manifolds have been around for decades, and are still used on some cars today. The heatsoak issue really is a mute point to be arguing because it makes such a minor difference when your driving. Now if you wanted to argue heatsoak when sitting in rush hour traffic, thats an argument that could easily be made, but since we arent racing or using max horsepower in bumper to bumper traffic, it really doesnt matter. And if you dont have an actual dyno of this manifold being used on an LS4, you can't really substantiate that its any better then any of the other cheaper solutions for us out there.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:19 PM

Your mixed up on the truck intake, Overkills and the one he sells is the orginal truck intake, the TBSS truck intake like the one i have is the better version of the truck intake, overkills is not ported, to my knowledge im the only one who ported his truck intake manifold (TBSS). Dont get thrown off by the shaved tops.

this is why i ported my TBSS mostly for nitrous to get to all cylinders

Stock

http://www.peakspeedshop.com/images/...efore%20PS.jpg

how mine is now

http://www.peakspeedshop.com/images/...PS%20small.jpg
Old 08-10-2015, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe some1 would spend $1500 or even $999 on either of those intakes!!

$1500 intake:

$50 99-06 truck intake
$137 Holley fuel rails
$100 32# fuel injectors
$250 New LS3 throttle body
$50 SS hardware,AN lines/fittings
$??? Plug and Play Adaptor
$??? 1-2 hours to assemble/shave/modify Truck Intake

Not to mention that thing is butt ugly!! A ls6 or ls1 intake is a much better choice. If u want more than a ls6 w/ 90mm opening would be great.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Takes more an an hour or two to shave, fill, finish and paint that intake haha
Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
Takes more an an hour or two to shave, fill, finish and paint that intake haha
^^^^indeed
Old 08-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Indeed x2

And no on the prices

To give you insight, the difference in price between the 75mm and 90mm kits is the difference in material costs.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OverkillGTP
Indeed x2

And no on the prices

To give you insight, the difference in price between the 75mm and 90mm kits is the difference in material costs.
How many have you sold so far? Anyone do any testing on them?
Old 08-10-2015, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I honestly dont think mine is "butt ugly" shaved and painted. I prefer it to the looks of the car intakes honestly.

Quick Reply: New LS4 Intake Mani Option