Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 04:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Idle is 600.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine running (obvious by engine speed)

Engine not running (....)
Old 05-29-2016, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think its safe to conclude your pressure is way low for idle... compared to mine anyways..
Old 05-29-2016, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sint3k
I think its safe to conclude your pressure is way low for idle... compared to mine anyways..
Me thinks you are correct....

Would my ticking lifters be a result of low oil pressure or could fast bleeding lifters be causing the low pressure by passing oil faster than normal?? A mere bump of RPM causes pressure to go to 40psi. Maybe its just wore out. Thought about putting in new lifters but that's an expensive gamble. Seems strange that 1k RPM gives 40 psi, doesn't really sound like a bad pump.

Any suggestions short of "just put another engine in it"?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by impala06ss

Would my ticking lifters be a result of low oil pressure or could fast bleeding lifters be causing the low pressure by passing oil faster than normal?? A mere bump of RPM causes pressure to go to 40psi. Maybe its just wore out. Thought about putting in new lifters but that's an expensive gamble. Seems strange that 1k RPM gives 40 psi, doesn't really sound like a bad pump.

Maybe bypass valve spring is weak, could try replacing it.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I wouldn't spend to much money on it, At that mileage you're fighting a loosing battle. Usually when you have that many miles your oiling problems are likely due to bearing clearances opening up due to wear. A high pressure high volume replacement pump may make it last a little longer but how much longer would be a guess.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have a tuner you could raise the idle a bit, its just a band aid but would get rid of the light. Thicker oil for sure also, and the additives I mentioned as well.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

If I find the problem or something that works, I'll post it. Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Default May sound dumb...

Love your IMPALA!!! Maybe low oil? I get the same issue the moment I begin to use up my oil. At this point... my oil changes are more like 4 quarts Lucas to 2 of synthetic which does a lot. I dont have the cold start clicking and the first time I do... i know its time for a change regardless of what my computer says on the dash. I was hesitant to post this bc it seems far too simple of an issue but when I read the part about you gassing it and the clicking going away I figured I would rather be assumed a moron than not try to help. Love these cars. Truly. Good luck my friend.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transverselife
Love your IMPALA!!! Maybe low oil? I get the same issue the moment I begin to use up my oil. At this point... my oil changes are more like 4 quarts Lucas to 2 of synthetic which does a lot. I dont have the cold start clicking and the first time I do... i know its time for a change regardless of what my computer says on the dash. I was hesitant to post this bc it seems far too simple of an issue but when I read the part about you gassing it and the clicking going away I figured I would rather be assumed a moron than not try to help. Love these cars. Truly. Good luck my friend.
?....
Old 05-31-2016, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transverselife
I love it too, you can't have it, lol.

On second thought, 1 or 2 psi lower on oil pressure and the engine might give way at which point I may have second thoughts about loving it and it may come cheap....lol.

BTW, I actually thought it might be from low oil cause low oil did seem to co-inside with my stop engine messages but later I discovered that filling my oil didn't change anything for me.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Launching!

A friend of mine maintains a fleet of GM trucks/vans that run 6.0 V8's typically. He said a common cause of low pressure is the o-ring on the pickup tube gets old and doesn't deal well anymore. He said he has done many of them. The pump and everything else is fine. Just the oring. If you are going to that much work, it does make you wonder if it's worth replacing the pump though.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump