LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Is it logical to do this for a summer only never rain driven car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it logical to do this for a summer only never rain driven car?

1) Pop the hood
2) Remove the foam/rubber seal separating the wiper region from the engine bay top.

Doing this would be a performance improvement because then hot air from the engine bay would be given a path out... be pulled out through the gap that was left behind by the removed seal. Engine temps go down at that point, and, transmission temps technically go down too(mathematically but not to any real world benefit if I had to guess)...

But, I'm not sure though... would doing this improve down force to the front wheels or reduce it?

I think I have also concluded that I will be removing my wiper blade assembly too... because believe it or not I never use them and always carry an assortment of microfiber and small spray bottle of window cleaner.

I think removing the wiper assembly will look better AND... aid in the hot air being pulled out from the engine bay TOO!? ... because now by removing the wipers I have in essence created a new "negative pressure zone", to which all air(hot from the engine or anywhere else) will be drawn to.

I've had a few beers and a puff right now but I am correct more or less yes?? Cooling, appearance, and downforce mod all at once just be removing 1 seal and 2 wipers?

Last edited by Red_Zone; 11-05-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the ****,
Old 11-05-2016, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Removing the wiper assembly is illegal for any street driven car originally equipped with them, they are a safety item and removing them is a terrible idea. A well rounded street car will have everything needed for any driving condition regardless of when you plan to drive it. If your car was track only have at it, rip out the a/c as well. I think it would benefit you to contact a race engineering program and run some of your ideas by them, it could be better to start with a different platform that has more to offer aerodynamically.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

my s10 has no wipers at all its got close to 30grand in it i drive it everywhere in non rain conditions and i wouldnt put them.back on fir nothing. my wiper motor had to be removed for the high ram to fit so it was worth it ive never had any problems getting it inspected without wipers. its your car do what u want i drive mine when its nice and love it but u will always have ppl coming in here hating just how it is
Old 11-05-2016, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Zone
1)

I've had a few beers and a puff right now but I am correct more or less yes?? Cooling, appearance, and downforce mod all at once just be removing 1 seal and 2 wipers?

Put the pipe down and walk away! Removing the seal is not going to do much if anything and neither will removing the wipers.
If you want it to run cooler then upgrade the cooling system and again put the pipe down!
Old 11-05-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I removed the rear seal along time ago. Water dosent get in the engine bay. I drive my car through monsoon season and all with no issue. It does help out in getting air out of the engine bay at speed

Quick Reply: Is it logical to do this for a summer only never rain driven car?