LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lugs at Low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lugs at Low RPM

I've been living with this problem for awhile now and it has really begun to drive me up the wall...

I'd like to start off by saying that I did search this (I'll explain after the problem).

I drive a '95 Firehawk and when accelerating off the line or from a idling roll, if I hit the gas hard (I would estimate about 1/2 throttle or a little more) the car seems to lug down, it doesn't miss, but it definitely has difficulty. This happens until it hits about 1600-1800 rpm. After that, it gets a significant increase in power that throws me into my seat.

As I mentioned, I tried doing some searching on the problem and I found quite a few topics (and other sites) that basically said, don't assume the opti, it might be a dirty MAF or fuel pressure. So today after work, I took off the MAF, took the grill off the front carefully, and cleaned it with electrical contact and sensor cleaner. It was a bit dirty, which unfortunately got my hopes up... and has subsequently angered me even more because it obviously didn't fix my problem. Also, I found searching that people said it might be the O2 sensors... I replaced them a few months ago (unfortunately Bosch was all I could find), but there was no change.

Long story... but in the end I guess my question is that I'm not a mechanic, I'm fairly handy with cars and have done a bunch of work on them, but I don't have a bunch of tools or scanners. Is there anything else that would be worth checking or should I just take her to the shop? I have a great shop near me, but they charge an arm and a leg, so I would prefer to try and narrow down the problem before I go.

Thanks!

Last edited by 95CameronHawk; 10-20-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to add info regarding the O2 sensors
Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Launching!

What about the small tune up items every one forget like the PCV Valve and the Fuel filter?

-justin
Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply.

I bought the car last year with 38k original miles on it and since then I have driven it to 52k. And I really have no idea what has been done to the car prior to that.

A faulty PCV valve, wouldn't that cause the car to use oil? I run synthetic in her and typically notice it being about 1/2 a quart low in a 5-7k mile oil change. To me, that doesn't sound like it is using much.

If the fuel filter were bad, I would expect to be worse at high rpm if it were clogged, rather than at low rpm. And at high rpm the car runs very strong.

I really don't know if these answers are accurate, please let me know if I am off base. But again, the line between when the rpm kicks in at 1600-1800 is huge, it is a huge jump in power. The other f-bodies I have ridden in are much more smooth.

Quick Reply: Lugs at Low RPM