LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Delima..head choice..not your typical street head..this is a race question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Delima..head choice..not your typical street head..this is a race question.

I'm looking to maybe upgrade my heads in preperation for a turbo setup. I have a full turbo hot side for a 23 deg. head. I'm currently running some GM LT4 heads and so far went 10.3s on a NA 6 speed set up. Here is my delima. I can get a set of AFR 215 RR CNCd heads, never been on a car. This would give me the option to keep the current headers I have and hot side turbo parts. The heads are bare right now and will need a intake to go with em. My other option is that in shop sits a set of Brodix 12x12 as cast SBC heads. These are a 12 deg raised runner head. They would need to be worked since they are as cast and would also need a full intake/valvetrain setup. These would need to be converted to LT1 of course but would cause me to not be able to use the hot parts of my turbo setup. I already have these heads so that expense would not be there as but need to be worked. The AFRs are cncd from AFR so that part is done. Just wondering if anyone knows these two heads and can give me some insite on which you think would work better. This is the Brodix head http://www.brodix.com/heads/12x12.html and everyone knows about the LT1 AFR 215 head. Also, I may make the change before the turbo motor just to see what they can do on my setup. Hoping to go 9s without a head change so the head change would just be out of curiosity about what a big head would do on a little 355.

also something to consider is if I do the brodix why even convert them and not just go SBC. I'm already running a distributor setup so why even stay with the lt1 block. Once again..this is a BIG increase in money outlay since I already have my filled, splayed, girdled lt1 block and crank for the next setup so I would lean toward staying with what I have. Oh..this will be a 383 setup with a 91MM.

Last edited by 95 Formula; 10-29-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just go with the AFRs. The brodix heads are pretty much overkill if your going to run a 91mm. Also you can just hack the flanges off your current hot parts and weld on LTx flanges, for cheap. Sell the brodix and you could fund most of the AFRs. Also porting the brodix and buying valvetrain is going to be more expensive i think in the long run, since you already have the LTx parts laying there.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Brodix are big. according to the cnc program they would be anywhere from 275 to 295 CC intake runners. I could still use most of my lt1 stuff by just converting these over though..just would have to redo the header setup.

what it would do is keep me from trying the NA first.

Quick Reply: Delima..head choice..not your typical street head..this is a race question.