LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SES comes on at idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SES comes on at idle

sorry guys i dont have to much info. all i know is i replaced my MAF and whenever i idle for a little bit my SES light will come on. could it be my A/F Ratio? its two brand new Bosch o2s. what do you guys think?
Old 11-27-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
sorry guys i dont have to much info. all i know is i replaced my MAF and whenever i idle for a little bit my SES light will come on. could it be my A/F Ratio? its two brand new Bosch o2s. what do you guys think?
the best O2's to run are ACDelco units. but that happens when my fans turn on. which do it at idle. hot or cold theyll turn on and so will the SES light dunno why
Old 11-27-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

so it shouldnt be anything to worry about? the car runs fine and all but just curious
Old 11-27-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

so it shouldnt be anything to worry about? the car runs fine and all but just curious
it happens with my dads 94 and 95 caprice witht he 9C1 package as im sure alot of other people. i wouldnt worry about it. its probably just the air pump. i have mine completely removed aswell.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

mines gonna be pulled in another week or two. i need to get a trans. then once i make sure its worth messing with the car ima say to hay with it and pull all the emmsion crap. i already pulle the egr outta the back now i just need the pump and block off my headers. then im good. thanks man i appreciate the quick response
Old 11-27-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

mines gonna be pulled in another week or two. i need to get a trans. then once i make sure its worth messing with the car ima say to hay with it and pull all the emmsion crap. i already pulle the egr outta the back now i just need the pump and block off my headers. then im good. thanks man i appreciate the quick response
NP man naytime. once you pull the airpump it clears up alotta room off the front of the engine. cleans it up nice! gl with everything
Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
the best O2's to run are ACDelco units. but that happens when my fans turn on. which do it at idle. hot or cold theyll turn on and so will the SES light dunno why
It's not that the SES light comes on when your fans do, the fans are triggered by the code that is thrown. Certain codes cause your fans to turn on, but I don't remember if it's only emissions.

Due to the fans coming on, and it only happening at idle, it's most likely an emissions code, AIR or EGR. I never had EGR problems, but when I got my first LT1 about 10 years ago I was suffering the same symptoms and it was the AIR pump.

Quick Reply: SES comes on at idle