LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

TPS code

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS code

my car is spiting out a tps code.(p0122 i think it was) i had a new tps put on and the service engin soon light came back on. it runs fine just rich. i was told it may be the knock sensor. anyone have a clue? also it has a 58mm holly on it.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Teching In

the scaner said the cold start was -40. it was more like 40 above out side.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:36 PM

I doubt it's the knock sensor, that will only retard your timing. If your scanner tells you it's -40 outside and it's not, you may have a bad engine coolant temperature sensor. I had that problem with my old TBI truck. It wouldn't start at all because it was getting flooded. That's the easy solution. Before you go get a new ECT sensor, you can check other things. You may have a short to ground somewhere in your wiring harness. What you need to do is use your scanner and look at the readings on the MAP sensor, TPS, and your load value. If you're seeing a fixed MAP reading of ~3 in/hg, fixed throttle postion even when you press the pedal, and 100% load value, you probably have a short in your gray wire. You can check for a 5V reference voltage on the gray wire of the TPS and MAP. If you don't have that voltage, your car thinks it's on Mt. Everest and will run very rich, if it runs at all. When that 5V reference disappears, it reverts to the fueling tables and essentially enters a "limp home" mode. That's what happened to me, I pinched the wires going to the MAP, under my valve cover and it caused a short to ground. It threw a PO122. By the way, the ECT sensor is on that same circuit so that could be why your coolant temp is way off. Check that stuff and get back to us. I would be willing to bet a lot of money it's either an electrical ground or a bad ECT sensor. MJD