LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car won't Crank: Possibly Fuel Related

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't Crank: Possibly Fuel Related

Just as I had tracked down the starter problem with my car shown here in this thread.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sear...archid=2744195

Now another problem has cropped up.

The car is a 1997 Z28 M6, newly rebuilt 355 bottom end, LE2 top end, new Delphi 37 lb/hr injectors, new Racetronix 255 lph fuel pump & wireing harness, new Fram Fuel Filter, new NGK TR55 plugs, new Opti, new Taylor Plug Wires, new ignition coil & ignition module, Pacesetter LTs, Moroso CAI, Trick Flow Intake Elbow, BBK 58mm TB, LE ported Intake, new knock sensor, new GM LT4 Starter, Spec 3 Clutch, new TPS, new IAT sensor, summit EWP, new battery. Thats EVERYTHING that has been replaced.

I have had a problem getting my car to crank. This weekend I tried to start the car. I turned the ignition over to prime the pump. I heard the pump come on as well as the EWP. I then turned the key to start the car. Car turned over easily, car started for approximately 1 second then died. I tried turning it over several times. The car would try to start but would never stay cranked. Frustrated I decided to step away from the car. I pulled the battery & put it on 2 amp trickle charge. The gas tank had approximately 5 gallons of fresh 93 Octane from the local BP.

Flashforward to Monday. I bought some more gas. Added approximately 4 gallons more of 93 Octane from the local BP for a total of 9 gallons. I hooked up the freshly charged battery, got into the car turned the ignition over (heard the fuel pump & EWP come on) I then tried to crank the car. Car fired right up for approximately 2 seconds then died. Tried several times to crank it again but the car would not crank. It sounded a few times like it wanted to crank then nothing. I decided to check the fuel pressure, could not find my fuel pressure gauge so I had to go buy another one. I removed the cap on the Schrader valve. I pushed in on it saw that there was indeed fuel at the valve. Screwed the new fuel pressure gauge up to the valve, put the gauge where I could see it from the car. Hooked the battery up, climbed in the car & turned the ignition to prime the pump. I heard the pump come on, but the fuel pressure gauge did not move. I did this a few times with the same result. I went back to check to see if I had possibly not screwed the gauge on correctly. I checked & it was screwed on as tight as I could get it. I tried again to prime the pump. Heard the pump come one but no fuel pressure on the gauge. I tried to start the car several times. The car would turn over, try to start but nothing. The fuel pressure gauge never moved. I pulled the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator. It was not wet or soaked with gas.

I am a bit perplexed. This is a brand new pump. When I installed the pump I completely removed the tank, removed all of the old fuel, washed it with hot water & soap. I meticoulously vacuumed out the water, & dried the tank down. It was spotless & dry when I put the pump back in the tank & installed it. The car did start twice but immediately died. Any thoughts? What else should I check?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well if you have no fuel pressure at the rails, then your car will never run. Have you replaced your fuel filter recently? If so, it sounds like your pump is toast. I have seen new pumps fail quickly, it's not common, but it happens. What brand is it? Too bad you didn't do the trap door method.
A quick test you can do is to have someone continuously spray starter fluid into your TB and see if your car stays running for longer than 2 seconds.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Its a Racetronix (Walbro 255 lph) fuel pump. Its new & so is the filter.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Its a Racetronix (Walbro 255 lph) fuel pump. Its new & so is the filter.
I have the same pump, not likely, but I have heard of them failing prematurely before. Try the test I mentioned and see if it stays running, if so, you know the problem and you'll have to drop the tank all over again...
Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

I am gonna try that. I'll do the trap door method this time if it is indeed the pump. Any other thoughts?

Quick Reply: Car won't Crank: Possibly Fuel Related