LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Smoking like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smoking like crazy

Hey guys I was out today and when I got back and parked my car I saw a lot of some coming from the exhaust. he some is white and almost smells like coolant but the car is not using any. I thought it could b a head gasket but the oil looks like fresh oil. It was the first time the car has been in the cold and it being very humid. Could it just be the weather or is something wrong?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A head gasket going is a 50/50 of coolant in the oil. When it's burning coolant, that's the gasket being blown where the coolant enters the cylinder and not the oil. Now given there's also the chance of being really unlucky and it blows between both the oil and cylinder lol

Anyways, I'd probably stop driving it till you fix it.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Well hopefully it will look better in the morning. I ran it for a while and it seemed to get less as the car ran.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol Um... well sure. The ever so rare self-repair head gasket. You should hang onto that! I hear they only made one, because well it never went bad. The marketing department axed it after that though.

Seriously though, if it doesn't appear to be burning any in the morning, it could be because none leaked in or... I don't know heh
Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dump the oil and look for milkiness
Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by myltwon
dump the oil and look for milkiness
Whipped this up quick for you lol He could also check the dipstick, because if it's diluted enough to be milky, it'll show on the stick. That, and you must not have read my post stating that a blown head gasket doesn't automatically mean coolant in the oil

Old 02-20-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

condensation maybe in the exhaust pipes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x8t2eZP_zs
Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

yes he could but it's better to completely drain the oil and check it since not everything shows up on a dipstick. yes it doesn't mean because it's not milky the headgasket isn't neccesarilly blown but it's the first and easiest step in the process of elimination, next I'd say compression test. no I didn't read your post so I'm sorry you got butt hurt that I was responding to the OP and not scanning for everyone else's responses, glad you wasted 5 min of your time in Paint on my behalf.

one other thing though to the OP is unless you are positive it smelt like coolant it could simply be condensation in the exhaust. one thing to check would be for water speckles to come out and smell the moisture
Old 02-20-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by myltwon
yes he could but it's better to completely drain the oil and check it since not everything shows up on a dipstick. yes it doesn't mean because it's not milky the headgasket isn't neccesarilly blown but it's the first and easiest step in the process of elimination, next I'd say compression test. no I didn't read your post so I'm sorry you got butt hurt that I was responding to the OP and not scanning for everyone else's responses, glad you wasted 5 min of your time in Paint on my behalf.

one other thing though to the OP is unless you are positive it smelt like coolant it could simply be condensation in the exhaust. one thing to check would be for water speckles to come out and smell the moisture
First, if you actually took the time to read threads and not just blindly post a reply, you'd keep from posting redundant information. Also you'd learn quite a lot! Second, the oil would get pretty mixed up with being gone through the whole motor and seeing as I just drained a motor that had chocolate milk for oil, it was on the dipstick, the oil cooler lines, the filter adapter AND in the filter! :O If it doesn't show up on the dipstick, what good is having a dipstick? If it was inaccurate and not showing what's going on with your oil, you could show no oil and yet it's full! And lastly, it only took 30seconds open Paint, type in the text, save it and upload it to the net. So don't flatter yourself lol Oh and my butt isn't hurt Thanks for the concern.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Launching!

it was like 40 degree tonight kyle
Old 02-20-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula350
First, if you actually took the time to read threads and not just blindly post a reply, you'd keep from posting redundant information. Also you'd learn quite a lot! Second, the oil would get pretty mixed up with being gone through the whole motor and seeing as I just drained a motor that had chocolate milk for oil, it was on the dipstick, the oil cooler lines, the filter adapter AND in the filter! :O If it doesn't show up on the dipstick, what good is having a dipstick? If it was inaccurate and not showing what's going on with your oil, you could show no oil and yet it's full! And lastly, it only took 30seconds open Paint, type in the text, save it and upload it to the net. So don't flatter yourself lol Oh and my butt isn't hurt Thanks for the concern.
your feelings mean alot to me

I'm usually half awake when I post this time at night so I don't care to read anything besides the neccesary

Last edited by myltwon; 02-20-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Resident

well we took the car for a long drive. It looked like i had drove thew a puddle and all that water was in the exhaust. When you first ran it the would be smoke that would encompass the whole car. After driving it for about 20 minuets it cut down to almost nothing. I checked my coolant and oil and they both look fine. I have seen this car smoke before because of cold humid weather but nothing like this before. After another drive it smoked but not as much. I think that I am safe and sorta overreacted. We think that the smell we were getting was unburned fuel. I have no cats on the car.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was going to ask if it was "smoke" or steam

Sounds like you figured it out.

Glad it was nothing serious.

Quick Reply: Smoking like crazy