LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spec Friction Plates

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Friction Plates

I've got a feeling this questions been asked before, but I didnt find anything so I figured I'd ask again.

My car feels like the clutch is slipping, atleast I'm pretty sure its my clutch and not my rear end carrier. I can still do pretty decent burnouts in first, bark the hell out of second, but for some reason I get like a brief engine surge when I slam 3rd and 4th at high RPMs... like the clutch is slipping. I used to be able to get 3rd and 4th to chirp instead of this.

So my question is, assuming my clutch really is worn out, can I just buy a Spec Stage 1 friction plate from somewhere and pop that in instead of buying another $450 kit with a throwout bearing and pressure plate that I dont need? Also, I've heard the pressure plates for most Spec clutches are all the same (from LT4's), does this mean I could pick up a Stage 2 friction plate and throw that in, making my clutch a Spec Stage 2?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spec machines the PP to work with their disks, so i see you already have a spec PP, check it to make sure it's flat, clean it up REALLY well and put the new Disk in. You should also turn the FW, for a new surface for the disk to break into.JMTCW.

Quick Reply: Spec Friction Plates