LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT headers

I have heard many different numbers about the hp I can pick up with LT's. I ordered the pacesetter race headers. Should be here in a few days. Also I heard the LT4 knock module was necessary after the installation of LT's? Is this true?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Launching!

i think headers are like 20 rwhp. no knock module is needed. only time you would think about switching knock module is if you switched to noisier valvetrain stuff, like rocker arms or something.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trippinholyman
i think headers are like 20 rwhp. no knock module is needed. only time you would think about switching knock module is if you switched to noisier valvetrain stuff, like rocker arms or something.
It's been said that headers can cause a stock LT1 knock module to sense knock.

Is this something you have actual experience with or are you repeating something you heard on the internet?

The only real way to know is hook up a scanner and see if YOUR car is pulling knock, with headers, and then figure out if they are the cause.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gregrob
It's been said that headers can cause a stock LT1 knock module to sense knock.

Is this something you have actual experience with or are you repeating something you heard on the internet?

The only real way to know is hook up a scanner and see if YOUR car is pulling knock, with headers, and then figure out if they are the cause.
w/e..no one updates it until they upgrade the valvetrain with noisier components. thats why the lt4 came with the lt4 module.every header install on here never mentions adding a new knock module.

the guy asked generally, and generally its not needed unless his car is a freak or something. i dont see how exhaust pulses are gonna be picked up as knock..sure its gonna be noisier but by the time it is noisier / gets out its gonna be farther away from the block.

its been said? by who? someone on the internet?

i think theres an equal amount if not more people that dont get it with their headers than do. it wouldnt hurt to make it less suspectible but you cant tell until you look at how much timing is being pulled to find any benefits. if youre gonna do valvetrain soon might as well get it ahead of time one less thing to worry about

Last edited by trippinholyman; 04-05-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

okay that is what i was wanting to know. yes I will be doing a h/c swap down the road and I was planning on installing the knock module then. What type of scanner? They don't make any hypertech or diablo sports? I don't really want to pay anyone to scan it...thats money taken away from the mod fund. I have the obd1 pcm with the obd2 connector.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

there like 20 bucks on ebay and take like 5 mins to swap. just get one youll need it later, i put one in long before i did any valvetrain swaps just incase. and now i have 1.6 rrs and dont have to worry bout it.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

well i looked on ebay and the cheapest that I could find was over $50. I don't know if I looked in the correct spot or not.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that the part is not expensive infact you could probably go to the auto parts store and they should have one. I asked around and I think changing the knock module on only a header swap isn't necessary on a LT1 but is on the pre-2000 LS1's. The knock module is only like 20 bucks but the scanner is around $60

Quick Reply: LT headers