LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LS1 lid on NON WS6 Trans Am.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 lid on NON WS6 Trans Am.

This mod seems to be growing in popularity and many members on here will vouch for its effectiveness. I really want to open up my air intake since I have a good exhaust setup(GMMG/w Corsa clone tips, LPP LTs, LPP ORY), but the intake is stock. I have heard some people say it can only be done on Camaros and WS6 TAs and not on base TAs. I believe that most anything is possible...

What do you guys think? I dont want to beat on my hood or anything else so much that it looks bad, but a little hammering/cutting here and there is cool if that would make it work. Can I do this mod to my Non ws6 trans am? I really want to, but I dont have the know how to do it without some guidance. Any writeups out there? Thanks as always.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did one on a 97 TA , it will work, but i had to cut the first layer of sheet metal on the inside of the hood to make it close.

I just did one on a 95 Z the other night with a stock hood, it was tight, i had to move the hood latch up 0.025", but it closes and works.

I will be conducting a A-B-A-B test on that 95 Z LE 1.5 Setup, from a K&N CAI vs the LS1 Lid conversion soon. I dont have access to a dyno buy you will not see any "ram air effect" on a dyno any way. I will post up MAF AFG's from each run, 15 minute cool down's , same gear, same road, same direction. The MAF should indicate more AFG's if its making more power.

I'll post results in a few days
Old 05-17-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, Roadtrip120. That was very helpful. I have not really ever fabricated anything on my car and I dont know how to "cut the first layer of sheetmetal." Could you tell me what I would need to do and what equipment is necessary?

I am very interested to see the results of your experiment. Few people argue that the ls1 lid is a good mod, but there is not too much evidence to reveal how it compares to a good CAI with the free ram air mod or just a good CAI.

Has anybody else done the ls1 lid mod on a base Trans Am or know of someone who knows someone whose brother did it? I just don't want to tear my hood apart cause I don't know what I am doing.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will notice a very nice difference!
mods like this you really cannot measure on a dyno you have to hit the track!
i did my swap at the track, moroso CAI to an SLP lid w/fram filter 1.8mph and a solid 2 tenths.
a GREAT DEAL of thanks to roadtrip for this mod he sure does not get the credit enough especially for how effective this mod is...too many people **** and moan about "hacking up" their core support but that's the difference in fabricating and butchering when done correctly it is undetected!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brucealmighty744
Thanks, Roadtrip120. That was very helpful. I have not really ever fabricated anything on my car and I dont know how to "cut the first layer of sheetmetal." Could you tell me what I would need to do and what equipment is necessary?

I am very interested to see the results of your experiment. Few people argue that the ls1 lid is a good mod, but there is not too much evidence to reveal how it compares to a good CAI with the free ram air mod or just a good CAI.

Has anybody else done the ls1 lid mod on a base Trans Am or know of someone who knows someone whose brother did it? I just don't want to tear my hood apart cause I don't know what I am doing.

1.a sharpie
2.tape measure(measure twice cut once)
3.a ruler or straight edge
4.sawzall with a short blade
5.ATTENTION TO DETAIL! don't rush to get it done.be steady and make it happen.......
Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

All the evidence in this mod is from those that have done it and the negative is from those that either have not done it, did it improperly or the bozos that think if you don't have dyno #s to back it, it's not a worth while mod! those are the ones that URK ME to no end............

I know of 7 people that have done this mod and only one of them was saying he did not notice any difference! He also expects a mild bolt on Lt1 to run 9s on a 150 shot (expectations are set too high) do it bro you will enjoy the difference!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

someone should do a write up on the proper way and maybe than make it a sticky. I would like to do this mod but havent found a good write up or two people who did the same steps.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, 96lt1M6. I was actually hoping you would chime in. I see you on almost every(if not all) ls1 lid post on this forum and your input is valuable and appreciated. Was roadtrip120 the man who discovered this mod?

Excuse the newbness, but I tried googling core support, to see what I would be cutting, and I just can't seem to find anything. I don't even know what the core support is or what it looks like. Nor do I know what part of the hood I would cut...I just want to do this mod and do it right.

Also, what do you mean a bolton lt1 with a 150 shot won't run 9s!!! I am pretty sure I will be there without the NAWSSS. All I need is a typhoon intake supercharger to go along with my airfoil, right??
Old 05-17-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tripower, I agree. A writeup would be helpful. I kind of feel like a pioneer doing this mod since I am doing something not many people have done or know about. That feeling scares me a little since I don't want to screw anything up, but I bet the satisfaction when I am done will feel like walking on clouds + the performance gain is noting to be scoffed at either(96lt1m6 has result I hope to emulate.)
Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL i always seem to catch this topic, i defend it due to many that have lack of knowledge on mere physics.....i will help anyone that would like the help.
Roadtrip is i believe the originator of this mod and i thank him for it..
to see the write up go here http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/ls1-li...k-camaro-hood/ i am certain the car used belongs to roadtrip if not i apologize....
be patient with this mod while doing the labor it should take no more than 15 min. to make the appropriate cuts the rest is all clean up and detail.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

I really believe if done right Ram Air provides more H.P. than a CAI while driving of course. I have been wanting to do this mod to the car in my sig. The hood on it is an FFI hood (Fiberglass Fabricators) and the holes are open with a nice screen but the holes go to far back. Has anyone made this possible with the hood in my sig?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

very good question moderate,for the price of the parts(shroud and a lid ) i feel it would be worth it to see.......or get the Lt1 ram air box either way i think they are better and cleaner than any CAI available.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

^ I also hate how hard it is to access the filter on my K&N CAI its tough sometimes to screw the clamp back on those filters.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

is that the stock MAF? where do you go for the coupling? i am really tempted to do this mod. where would you stick the IAT and opti vent?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

well worth it bro
the lid fits over the maf the maf to TB can be used from the Ls1 drill a small hole for the opti vent in the boot going to the TB

Last edited by 96lt1m6; 05-18-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

I was one of the first to do the mod, i dont want to take all the credit bc i saw an lt1 car with a ls1 front end conversion back in the day with the ls1 lid swap on it, but he had all the ls1 front end parts to make it fit.

I was one of the first to make it fit under a stock style hood while keeping the ac and everything.

I did a write up on Camaroz28.com years ago , and i kept getting pm's and questions and i kind of got tired of it. I deleted the post off the site, i'm sorry i did now, but it was the 3rd highest most viewed post on the entire message board, and for good reason. "the merv" did the conversion and brought it back so its all over the boards again.

Good luck to all in the conversions
Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Launching!

i did the mod yesterday it looke clean and better repond it worth it
Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

anybody have pics or can explain to me what a core support is and what all I have to cut? You are due many thanks, Roadtrip. Awesome mod idea!!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

Cool I been asking this and people have been brushing my request aside.
Will the hood. fenders. front light assy and bumpers from 98+ T/A fit my95?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brucealmighty744
anybody have pics or can explain to me what a core support is and what all I have to cut? You are due many thanks, Roadtrip. Awesome mod idea!!
go to post #10 click the link

Originally Posted by Anthony0908
Cool I been asking this and people have been brushing my request aside.
Will the hood. fenders. front light assy and bumpers from 98+ T/A fit my95?
the front clip is interchangeable,you will do a few small mods since the core support is slightly different many have done this conversion.

Quick Reply: LS1 lid on NON WS6 Trans Am.