LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Electrical Question Shbox Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical Question Shbox Help Please!!

I am installing a push button ignition in my 96 LT1 Camaro. I installed it like the genaric instructions implied. Well it worked with a inconvenient problem. I placed the button in line after the spring key switch in the column(the purple wire to the starter). Now that I have described it you probably guess what my problem is. I have to turn the key forward and hold it in the spring loaded position for the button to become hot. As much as I have always wished I had two right hands I did not intend to wire it up this way.

What I need is either a high amp hot wire that engages when the key is in the running position OR the actual wire color under the steering wheel that provides power to the spring loaded starter switch. The thing I ask you to keep in mind is I need a power that is ONLY engaged by VATS or is at least unpowered until the key is in the running position.

If I cant find out which wire does the trick, I 'll just have to run a relay I suppose.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Brandon
Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did this awhile back using the push button from a Honda S2000. Mine was wired in such a fashion that I had to turn the key to run (still using VATS) and then pushing the button. Wiring this way is easy. If you're interested let me know.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sounds like Joe has it covered for you.