LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil cooler????

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler????

Can I delete this part or not, this is the part that the oil filter screws on to I belive and it has the 2 lines that run upto the radiator and the other to the water pump....Just curious becasue I have a modified EWP that the housing lines are all welded in except the main 20 AN lines that I will be running!!! Need some info ASAP! Thanks alot steve
Old 06-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Yeah, my 96 does not have one. I think you'll need a new filter adapter. I think the lines run to a stand alone cooler, not sure though.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

On mine one line goes to the bottom of my radiator on the driver side and the other runs upto the water pump on the driver bottom side. Come on folks help me out, I need my car put back together and I'm in the process of completion but I need to make sure everything is going correctly with this new waterpump !!!!
Old 06-06-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Default ????

Originally Posted by tonskiguy
Yeah, my 96 does not have one. I think you'll need a new filter adapter. I think the lines run to a stand alone cooler, not sure though.
So does this means that your stock one is gone with no lines and now just with an adapter then? What is your setup like! Explain please! I would imagine that those lines would be gone. When I got my motor back from the machine shop he didn't even have this adapter /oil cooler section on it. He said he always let the customer put it back on and made it out to be like it wasn't necessary!!!!! Just want to be sure that's all
Old 06-06-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

You don't need an adapter.. Just different bolts or cut down the ones that are there once you remove the cooler
Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think ours; the earlier lt1s, are setup different. You can just remove it and run a line directly from the WP to the radiator. You do not need an adapter. The one they are talking about actually takes the oil and puts it up through an oil cooler infront of the radiator. Our's just runs cool water past the area where the oil goes through the filter. That is it. Im not sure if you can actually completely block it off at the WP and radiator or not.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't even waste your time running a line from the radiator to the water pump. Just buy two plugs and clamps and plug both openings for the oil cooler (radiator and water pump) That's what I did and I'm damned happy I did - one less big *** hose running around in the engine bay.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Ok so here is what I'm going to do, what do you think, I'm going to cap off my radiator portion, water pump is already welded up with no way in hell of putting a hose on it and I'm just going to disco the lines from the oil cooler and put some plugs in the holes where the lines actually connected. A guy from the ZONE suggested this instead of wasting money on a melling oil adapter....Good idea yeah?????
Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ28
Ok so here is what I'm going to do, what do you think, I'm going to cap off my radiator portion, water pump is already welded up with no way in hell of putting a hose on it and I'm just going to disco the lines from the oil cooler and put some plugs in the holes where the lines actually connected. A guy from the ZONE suggested this instead of wasting money on a melling oil adapter....Good idea yeah?????
Or just remove the cooler and just screw on your filter lol
Old 06-06-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Will if that will work then I'll do that!!!! I was under the impression that I had to have either the oil cooler or an adapter. Also I was told that if I do away with the cooler that I would have to run a bigger filter, any thruth behind this?????? Hit me up and thanks for all the input, I would like to complet this portion of my build tomorrow if I can get the coorect responses on what to do with this crap!!!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Default not sure what bolts???

Originally Posted by 1badzee
You don't need an adapter.. Just different bolts or cut down the ones that are there once you remove the cooler
All I had to do was screw the oil cooler adapter right on with the center stud thingy!!!! The only bolt I had to deal with was to slap the coolant lines on. What bolts are you talking about to cut down????
Old 06-06-2009, 09:57 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

On my '94, the oil cooler was mounted to the oil filter adapter. You'll need a couple of bolts to replace some studs that are used to mount the adapter to the block when it's used in conjunction with the cooler, or I guess you could just grind down the studs.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ28
All I had to do was screw the oil cooler adapter right on with the center stud thingy!!!! The only bolt I had to deal with was to slap the coolant lines on. What bolts are you talking about to cut down????
He's talking about the style where the oil filter adapter is held in place by (2) 3/8" bolts that hold the oil filter screw on adapter piece in place. Once the oil cooler assembly drops out, you put the filter adapter back in place and put the bolts back in...but the original bolts have studs/extensions on the heads that locate the oil cooler on one side. That extension is what needs to be cut down or it will hit the oil filter...won't allow it to tighten up.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

I don't remember any studs when I put the cooler back on from returning from the machine shop....I'll be taking it back off today and taking a look at it and see what's all there...f it ends up being a pain in the *** then I will take the lines off and cap the holes, Hell then I can run the same filter!!!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:27 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It's been a couple years since I removed my cooler, but the studs hold the oil filter adapter in place when used in conjunction with the oil cooler. After the cooler is removed, the filter will not screw onto the adapter unless the studs are ground down, or replaced with the appropriate bolts. I got the bolts, two I believe, at my local dealer.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

I deleted mine during my LPP header swap. You'll be fine like others have mentioned.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input! Still have yet to take it off do to the fact I was adjusting my rockers today and installing some misc....stuff!!! Any way that's the route I'm going, thanks again Steve
Old 06-07-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

if yours is connected to the water pump then it is just moving water down and around the oil passages. I don't think it goes anywhere else except there. I might be wrong but i don't even think it enters the engine block itself. If you just remove the lines then it just wont have the water running there to cool the oil...nothing more.

The other style that they are talking about actually routes their oil up front of the radiator into an actual oil cooler. So by removing this one you have to remove the piece that allows the oil to go to the cooler and replace it with an adapter otherwise you would have oil coming out from there.

If i am wrong in what i am saying someone please correct me.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by litch2004
if yours is connected to the water pump then it is just moving water down and around the oil passages. I don't think it goes anywhere else except there. I might be wrong but i don't even think it enters the engine block itself. If you just remove the lines then it just wont have the water running there to cool the oil...nothing more.

The other style that they are talking about actually routes their oil up front of the radiator into an actual oil cooler. So by removing this one you have to remove the piece that allows the oil to go to the cooler and replace it with an adapter otherwise you would have oil coming out from there.

If i am wrong in what i am saying someone please correct me.
The one going to the radiator/water pump can still be removed (that's what everyone is talking about). It's a sandwich cooler that is between the block and oil filter. You remove the retaining stud (which is also the tube where the filter screws on) and once it's removed, there is the same exact setup on the block as on the cooler. Just replace the bolts with long heads that hold the piece on the block (they are there to align/hold the cooler in place) and there you have it. Much easier done than said.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

but what i am saying is why do you actually have to remove this piece? If you remove the hoses and just leave the piece above the oil filter what will it hurt? If the only thing it does is circulates water around the oil passages going to the filter leaving it open wouldnt hurt anything. Well that is my own opinion. Maybe i am not realizing something that others are.

Please inform me of why you have to remove this piece and not just leave it there.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler????