LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

dart

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dart

Hi I’ve gone to darts website, and have done searches about the new dart lt1 short block, or heads? And i haven’t been able to come up with anything... im curious as to what’s it all about. I’m about to build, or rebuild my motor and I’ve been looking at all my options. can someone tell me what is special about this short block, or heads. I think dart is a short lock right? ive just read somewhere about dart heads? any help would be appreciated, thank you
Old 07-03-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Dart doesn't make LT1 shortblocks.. They are in the process of designing a large cubic inch LTx bare block though, and they do make LT1/LT4 heads. I have a pair lol
Old 07-03-2009, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

so a ltx big block? or is it a stroker motor?
and sorry if this is a stupid question
Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

I talked with a Dart tech guy yesterday and the new block is expected to be available in a couple of months, but definitely this year.

I installed a pair of Dart Pro 1s on my son's 96 LT1 Vette a couple of days ago, but haven't driven the car much at all yet. I just drove it from the shop to my home, then pulled the PCM for re-programming by PCMFORLESS. Waiting for it to be returned next week.

I did a lot of research on heads before I decided on the Dart's. Other than the obvious, a couple of major factors were cost and availability. If I could have gotten a pair of AFR 180 Eliminators, next day air, for $1,350 delivered (including shipping), I would have bought them instead. JEGS fixed me up with the Darts.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by allenwesley
No, it is still a small block and from what I read, just larger bores and more material so you can bore it out even more and it will still accept factory style LT1 heads
Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A "stroker" is just a term relating to the comparison of crankshaft "stroke" length. A "stroker" is considered any additional stroke than the stock 3.48" stroke length.

As mentioned, the new Dart block is just that....a block. You choose your piston diameter and stroke length. And yes, it is still considered a "small block". The exterior dimensions will be very close the the stock LT1 block.....it will just have larger bores and have the ability to accomodate more stroke.

This new block should really wake up the LT1 scene

Jason
Old 07-03-2009, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

ohh cool i just watched a video about how they make their short blocks and they have found a way to mass produce a awesome block so they will be more user friendly and cheaper... cool
Old 07-03-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ohh cool i just watched a video about how they make their short blocks and they have found a way to mass produce a awesome block so they will be more user friendly and cheaper... cool
I know they may sound interchangable, but dart does not make shortblocks...it is an LTX block, not a shortblock.

Block is just the block, shortblock is the block plus the full rotating assembly, and longblock is the shortblock plus heads.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

ahhh ok cool so that’s why their good so you can putt you own rotating assembly in it for a stroker or what ever you want... and sorry if the way I’m wording things, I think I’ve got the idea now I’m just not sure if I’m wording it correctly lol
Old 07-03-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

ahhh ok cool so that’s why their good so you can putt you own rotating assembly in it for a stroker or what ever you want... and sorry if the way I’m wording things, I think I’ve got the idea now I’m just not sure if I’m wording it correctly lol
Yep, you got it now
Old 07-03-2009, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

The new LTX block from Dart will allow us LT1 guys to compete with the LSX guys in way of CI. They make a 427, now we can make a 427.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Armyman2445
The new LTX block from Dart will allow us LT1 guys to compete with the LSX guys in way of CI. They make a 427, now we can make a 427.
...and the new big runner heads from TFS and AFR will help as well. Now we just need someone (*cough*, Brodix, *cough*) to step up to the plate with some out of the box lower degree heads in an LTX casting for the serious big cube solid roller setups to really narrow the gap with LSX's. I have a feeling a heavily ported 18* headed 434 LTX with a big solid roller and single plane will leave many LSX cars on the trailer on their way home from the track wondering what just happened.

Maybe in a few years we won't need seperate LTX and LSX shootouts, and can run them together competatively like they used to do years ago .

One can dream, right?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Puck
...and the new big runner heads from TFS and AFR will help as well. Now we just need someone (*cough*, Brodix, *cough*) to step up to the plate with some out of the box lower degree heads in an LTX casting for the serious big cube solid roller setups to really narrow the gap with LSX's. I have a feeling a heavily ported 18* headed 434 LTX with a big solid roller and single plane will leave many LSX cars on the trailer on their way home from the track wondering what just happened.

Maybe in a few years we won't need seperate LTX and LSX shootouts, and can run them together competatively like they used to do years ago .

One can dream, right?
I have a nice set of sb.2's that can help you achieve that dream...
Old 07-04-2009, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tomcowle
...............sorry, i just really want a set of those.......tear....

I forsee an LTX vs LSX shootout.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tomcowle
Dont tease me.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would call it the LXX shootout
Old 07-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Will this new block make it possible for more power or easier power?

Or is it just a new block for us to use to make LT1s?

Quick Reply: dart