LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quick Question About when to get away from the Opti

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question About when to get away from the Opti

Where is the point thats felt between everyone that the Opti becomes a handi cap in performance and ability.

I have gone through 3 Optis. 2 Were AC Delco's and now one Dynaspark. All were Rotor Failures.

Dynaspark has offered to convert me to a Gen 3 from my Gen 2. I have a set of LS1 Coils and the LTX Mounting brackets. But I find myself thinking my build is not that radical why do I have this problem?

According to Dynaspark there Rotor can take 6800RPM. My redline is set at 6900RPM...... I am not bouncing off redline. 6500-6700 is where I shift.
As you can see from my build my stock heads are killing me but even with a set I plan on buying I do not expect to make a really mean car. I want a fun Street car with AC thats dead on for reliable and going on cruises like the Route 66 Cruise.

I could go the Gen 3 route and probably not have to worry again but I just don't think my end result goals warrant it. I am not that radical of a build I doubt I will break 500whp with a set of mild heads and thats fine. But if I am going to keep killing rotors....

What is your advice?

I basically just don't think that my Opti should be this big of an issue when others are gong for much more and are fine. So I would like to get some thoughts on the issue.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, how'd you manage to break a dynaspark rotor!?! That's crazy.

Can't say I ever heard that before, but as far as your question the opti is never a limit to power or ability...just reliability.

I would stick with the dynaspark and give it another try, they are regarded as the best opti route to take.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

i have about the same luck i shift at 7k and i replace my opti at least twice a year all ac's.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

This is less than a month on each the AC Delco last one made it a day.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn a day it lasted
Old 07-19-2009, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Eats Mustangs, ***** Opti's great car lol.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had no problems from my stock GM opti, 5000 miles, God knows how many passes. All I did was loc-tite the rotors screws before I put it on the car.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/\ LOL!!! ive ran a MSD opti on my 383 that was a decent running car and never had any problems i shifted in the high ranges of 6 around 67-6900 and never had one problem with the MSD. hell id even sell you my MSD if you want for pretty cheap i would say maybe 5-7k miles on it. had to pull the motor apart cause my crank snapped on me. LONG STORY. but if you have the money and are already having problems with the opti i would do the swap it wont hurt anything and then if you do plan on bumping up your heads or a bigger cam or spray your ign will be ready to handle it reliably. and of course you dont have to worry about our little water problems with the optijunk
Old 07-19-2009, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I have had no problems from my stock GM opti, 5000 miles, God knows how many passes. All I did was loc-tite the rotors screws before I put it on the car.
The second one was a brand new cap and rotor and they were loc-tited down.

The Dynaspark I highly doubt was not.

I have thought about going to the MSD unit but either way I am still worried about repeating this.

I will now have either a Gen 3 Opti or a Gen 2 (From Dynaspark that is) I can sell either one and stick with the opti or I can get away from it....

I just am not sure yet. I do not think I should be having these problems at my level of power and goals for the car.

In the same light the upgrade would solve it but I don't want to keep dealing with these problems or worried I will.

I would not mind knowing how much you want for your MSD and what year you bought it.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

its was bought for the infamous 94. and price if you still can use/ need/ want it is neg. i just have no use for it right now. im working on a 500 N/A motor and debating on whether to jump over to coils or try and keep it a stock looking LT1 the sounds really really nasty. lol
Old 07-19-2009, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Well I happen to have the mounts, coils and can provide a Gen 3 Dynaspark.

If its for your 94 does that mean its been converted to the vented 95+ style?

Let me know if you want to talk. I would just like a solid Opti I think. An MSD box added on later down the road will be all I need for this build not a coil system as nice as it would be. Thats for the LQ4 Turbo Build in a Gen 3 I want to do.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

ummm im not 100% sure if it can be converted over. i would ask around. like i said it did fine for me so i didnt worry about it to much. a guy on here was gonna buy it. put the money in my bank, and then asked if it was the right one and found out it was wrong so instead of me being a complete dick that i couldve been and sent him the part anyway i refunded his money and now im stuck with it. lol but im sure you could ask around and see if you can.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Damn so it is for a 93-94 style.

Alright let me look around.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes sir