LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 Caprice

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Caprice

I have a 96 Caprice with a 5.7 Lt1. I keep having an issue with the balancer or damper hub, I keep having an issue with the bolt that bolts it to the crank coming loose and backing out the Pulley/Damper/Hub from the Crank, ultimately throwing the belts. I know this year has a keyless hub, but the crank does have a notch for a key for the crank postion indicator. My question is can I use a keyed hub from a 96 camaro Lt1 and or 96 corvette LT1 or any after market keyed hub and use the keyway on the crank to keep the crank from slipping and ultimately backing out the bolt to the hub? when i put the original hub back on I noticed the key for the indicator was missing, i ran it anyway , it ran for awhile and i noticed no problem without the key indicator missing, but once again the bolt backed out. Help!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas22
I have a 96 Caprice with a 5.7 Lt1. I keep having an issue with the balancer or damper hub, I keep having an issue with the bolt that bolts it to the crank coming loose and backing out the Pulley/Damper/Hub from the Crank, ultimately throwing the belts. I know this year has a keyless hub, but the crank does have a notch for a key for the crank postion indicator. My question is can I use a keyed hub from a 96 camaro Lt1 and or 96 corvette LT1 or any after market keyed hub and use the keyway on the crank to keep the crank from slipping and ultimately backing out the bolt to the hub? when i put the original hub back on I noticed the key for the indicator was missing, i ran it anyway , it ran for awhile and i noticed no problem without the key indicator missing, but once again the bolt backed out. Help!!!
Are you torquing it down properly every time it comes loose?
The LT1 hubs are not keyed, but you can get it cut to use a key.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:01 PM

I believe that I have torqued it down properly, but what is the best way to keep the crank from turning as you tighten it down? can you remove the dust cap from between the Tranny and the engine and wedge it so it won't move?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas22
I believe that I have torqued it down properly, but what is the best way to keep the crank from turning as you tighten it down? can you remove the dust cap from between the Tranny and the engine and wedge it so it won't move?
Auto or stick?
M6 - keep it in gear with the parking brake on.
A4 - Remove the inspection cover and lock the flexplate with a prybar engaged on the flexplate teeth.

Are you using a torque wrench?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 PM

No I have not used a torque wrench. Also I think the Crank or the hub might be a little wallered from when it first came loose while running. The hub would be more likely to be worn before the end of the crank , would it not? Also if that is the reason it keeps slipping can you shim either the crank or the hub? lastly is it just more wise to replace the hub all together and have it keyed into the crank
Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

If you're worried that the interference fit isn't tight enough, just buy a hub that's been broached for a key or send yours off to, say, Golen Engines, to have your stock one broached. About $70

ThunderRacing sells one, already broached, that'll press right on; less than $100. All you'd need then would be a Woodruff key which you may be able to get from them or your local GM parts department. NAPA sells keys, too, but they come in all different sizes, so choosing the right on becomes a problem.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't need a keyed hub, you just need one that is not damaged and hopefully the crank is not damaged.

The Vette and f-body have different length hubs that are also NOT KEYED.

Quick Reply: 96 Caprice