LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I bought my old 93 Z28 back, now it needs some TLC

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took a couple quick shots of the pieces I got done last night.

Turned out good!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That just flat black spraypaint?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BSmiff
That just flat black spraypaint?
matte black powdercoat
Old 12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love these types of threads.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the front bumper primed yesterday/last night.

Some before pics of me sanding it down and getting all of off the chipping paint feather out.

I used PPG's 2k High fill primer

First coat-

Couple coats later-

Also today I worked on more of the interior, started cleaning the door panels and then did the dash, so all of the interior plastics have been cleaned, all I have left is the headliner, and I have to put the plastics that run from the drivers and passengers feat along the doors back. The long skinny ones if you know what I am talking about. I need to sand them down and repaint them.

Door panels before a good cleaning

During cleaning-

All done-

Got the drivers side window motor out (that was a pita!)

And last but not least decided to one step one of the fenders. And this is the reason I love the color :-D

Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Engine is on stand, trans is off, and the cradle is ready to go back on the car.

Really the main thing now is to figure out that I want to do with the engine. Next will probably drain the oil, some how mount the trans somewhere so I can take the pan off, paint or powdercoat. I know a guy I use to work at a dealership with and he was the trans guy, im going to see if he can check it out.

Now I have a couple things I can randomly powdercoat, which may seem pointless but it will look much better than rusted bolts and it cost me next to nothing.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

i would go with an electric water pump and a tubular K-member while theyre out of the car. thats just me though
Old 01-25-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 86formula
i would go with an electric water pump and a tubular K-member while theyre out of the car. thats just me though
I would rather put the money for a tubular k in the 99 vs the 93. I will need a new water pump but will most likely go stocker.

.... As for an update.....

Decided to get some stuff done to the engine last night.

Pulled the intake off, TB, push rods, heads, oil pan, starter, random lines/ wires.

Ill get some better pictures I just wanted to get some quick pictures this morning to put up. My buddy seemed to be real surprised that the motor had roller lifters, he thinks they are aftermarket that the engine didn't come like that. I told him that I was pretty sure that they are stock, is this correct? Also he said the engine in general is real real clean and shows next to no wear. He said the cylinder walls have next to no lip and there isn't any scores.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so I have a couple of tech questions that I need answers to.

Newbie question: does the LT1 come stock with roller lifters? Also, my buddy is on a hunch that I have a LT4 block or its bored .30 over. Or aftermarket cam or something, now at idle this car didn't have ANY chop, not even close to a LT4 cam. Any ideas here? Car when 14.0 in 1/4 mile with an ebay intake and muffler delete. Without me driving, this was previous owner. I have the block and head numbers at home but wont be home until 10ish and I dont have internet at home so I wounldn't be able to post them up until tomorrow. What is an LT1 block number and LT4 block number?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

I wish I had the talent and will to do everything that you are doing to the car. It looks GREAT...I bet you will never sell it again
Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferg95 T/A
I wish I had the talent and will to do everything that you are doing to the car. It looks GREAT...I bet you will never sell it again
Thanks! I don't really have much talent I just really like working on cars and I love to learn new things, all of the engine stuff my buddy is helping me with, he is much more knowledgeable than I am with internals. But if you point something out I can name it off, from connecting rods, main bearings, timing chain, push rods, lifters, cam, rockers, springs, etc.

But setting valve lash, adjusting rockers, replacing timing chain, cam swap etc that I am not so hot at lol.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Man love that car!! had a buddy in high school that had a 94 M6 z28 that color!! That was the car that made me fall in love with LT1s keep that thing I love it!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another update...

Went to my buddies machine shop. He said his rule of thumb is if the cylinders catch your fingernail (from piston wear) then it needs to be bored .xx over. Once i get the crank, pistons, connecting rods and cam out he said to bring the block in and he can mic the cylinders.

As for price, he didn't give me one on boring it out. But putting new cam bearings in will be around 50 bucks with the bearings! He said he can set the cam in for free. Also he said he might have a set of pistons laying around that are .030 over.

I will be taking the rest of the internals out tomorrow night.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

yes they came with hydraulic roller lifters, no thats not a LT4. Lt4s werent out untill 1996. Cant see the main caps but Im assuming they are 2 bolt. Only way could be was if it were a replacement engine.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AChotrod
yes they came with hydraulic roller lifters, no thats not a LT4. Lt4s werent out untill 1996. Cant see the main caps but Im assuming they are 2 bolt. Only way could be was if it were a replacement engine.
Yeah I ended up finding out. Are the LT4's 4 bolt main? That was my guess that it might had been a replacement but we ran the numbers and its LT1, my buddy is use to working on old sbc's.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Cool!! All LT4 are 4bolt mains. Nice work BTW!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Cool!! All LT4 are 4bolt mains. Nice work BTW!!!
Thank you!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 PM

Damn, that sucks, man. At least you got it for a good price. Good luck get it all fixed up again!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Damn, that sucks, man. At least you got it for a good price. Good luck get it all fixed up again!
Should be pretty nice WHEN its all done lol, Its really hard having some money that you can put towards the car but then you debate, the 99 or the 93? Thats the position I am in, I would really like to put some money in the 99, but I think the 93 will be a long drawn out project, now I just need to find out where I'm going to store the car this summer.... seems like its time to move out of the parents house, but there goes the project money.... ohhhh decisions decisions......
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mcalus
seems like its time to move out of the parents house, but there goes the project money.... ohhhh decisions decisions......
haha im in the same boat.

I noticed something different about the rear suspension in the early LT1s, the shock isn't inside the spring like the later cars? I noticed my 94 TA is like your camaro. Is there any difference to that(advantage/disadvantage)?

Quick Reply: I bought my old 93 Z28 back, now it needs some TLC