LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I bought my old 93 Z28 back, now it needs some TLC

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KLaBZ28
Awesome progress man. I've had my LT1 since I was 18 I have been flip flopping on selling it for an LS1 over the years and this summer I made the decision to keep it and put everything I want into this shell, just keeping the LT1 motor.. I'm swapping an ebony LS1 interior, body and engine harness pcm and 24x swap. Should be fun.. I should make a thread like this. Thanks for the motivation to keep the LT1 car.
If I were you I'd keep it a hard top tho. Hard tops are just badass..
Thanks! Glad to hear I could motivate some people
As for the ttops... Im so over the hard top

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Looks great man. I know you keep saying that you like working on it more than driving it, maybe you should start doing mods that make it more fun to drive than whatever you are currently driving? Like put in some nice speakers, button up any rattles, get some comfortable seats from a c6 vette or I dont know that just feel nice to sit in. I felt the same way as you, when I had it set up for street stock with the 9" and no interior and 4.33s with a spool, I lost all enjoyment of the car anywhere other than the track, and almost sold it. I ended up tearing apart the whole suspension and making it more fun on the street, but I still have a long way to go before its a comfortable road trip car again, and still performs well on the track. If you end up going FI or something radical with the motor and dont have it running PERFECT, you will still not have that enjoyment and comfort feeling of being able to just fire it up and go to the grocery store. I say get it running and driving PERFECT now, and see if you get some more enjoyment out of it.
Engine wise its running great! No issues what so ever. I would love a new set of seats but its not really in the price range at the moment. I have thought about doing another head and cam setup but FI sounds so much better .althought its over quadruple the price lol.

I think once I get the dash in and the ttop swap done ill enjoy it more. Hopefully by then itll either be sold or the turbo kit will be out by then.

-----

I got a new/used center console lid today for a good deal.
I just need a cluster, headlight dimmer/switch, and the dash pad....
Old 09-01-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am trying to come across the few parts I need for the dash swap so I can get started on this.

Bought a redlinegoods shift boot and ring. Can't beat 30% off!

I bought a headlight switch for $12 off ebay.

Got the new/used center console lid on. Not perfect shape but much better that what was on there. Also got the console all cleaned up.

I think the only 2 things I need is the wiring harness for the dash. It was suppose to come with that dash but... So no idea where I am going to find that...
Also I need the dash pad. Which I might end up getting the one on ebay.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcalus

I think the only 2 things I need is the wiring harness for the dash. It was suppose to come with that dash but... So no idea where I am going to find that...
Also I need the dash pad. Which I might end up getting the one on ebay.
I may have an extra dash harness with some of the parts I'm buying for my interior swap, I'll let you know. I might get the ebay dash pad too since its hard to find one not cracked.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I may have an extra dash harness with some of the parts I'm buying for my interior swap, I'll let you know. I might get the ebay dash pad too since its hard to find one not cracked.
Let me know if you end up having a harness

I snapped some pics of the interior today. Got the new belt loops on and gave it a good cleaning before the guy from Craigslist blew me off last week.

I talked to Lloyd Elliot on getting my heads ported. He said it's $700 to fully port, valve job, mill, clean and assemble the heads using your valves and springs.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm not sure where this will put me at power wise but I like the price!

I'm like a damn chick. I can't make up my mind with this car....

----

I finally got around to doing the coolant bypass.

Side note, does anyone want a lid conversion? I decided I'm not going to hack up my oem ss hood.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me know if you end up having a harness

I snapped some pics of the interior today. Got the new belt loops on and gave it a good cleaning before the guy from Craigslist blew me off last week.

I talked to Lloyd Elliot on getting my heads ported. He said it's $700 to fully port, valve job, mill, clean and assemble the heads using your valves and springs.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm not sure where this will put me at power wise but I like the price!

I'm like a damn chick. I can't make up my mind with this car....

----

I finally got around to doing the coolant bypass.

Side note, does anyone want a lid conversion? I decided I'm not going to hack up my oem ss hood.
Looking good!

How much for the lid?
Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

looking great
Old 09-14-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28
looking great
Thanks.

@hrcslam
Its a lid, the base, k&n filter, maybe some clamps as well. The neck of the lid is cut down a little. I think you need to do that to fit your maf inbetween the tb and the lid. Not sure tho. Previous owner of it that I bought it off of cut it. Ill see if I can get some pics.

-----

Thinking of hydrodipping my cai as well as my intake elbow carbon fiber. Maybe the valve covers? Too much?
I have a hydrodipping kit, haven't used it yet.

Got the new redlinegoods shift boot. I had the thread done in a charcoal just to give it a little touch.

Some new lighting for the garage. Need to get this up before winter!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your front bumper seems to fit the same way mine does.. pulling down a little where it meets the fender..
Old 09-20-2014, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your front bumper seems to fit the same way mine does.. pulling down a little where it meets the fender..
I am missing the 2 little brackets (one for each side) They either connect to the front radiator support or the fender. In my case its the fender (no hole in the radiator support). Also I need to get a new (drawing a blank on the company) front bumper support. Those 2 things should get me where I need to be.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait what kind of front bumper support? Like different from factory?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wait what kind of front bumper support? Like different from factory?

Midwest chassis makes them. For lt1s as well and with or without fogs.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-supports.html
Old 09-24-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah nice. I'd get one if I had boost and a FMIC but I don't, and don't want my front end to fold up in a fender bender.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I sold my 93z it was mint fixed up the way I wanted it. Got an LS1 but always liked the 93 more. The guy I sold it to a few months later had picked an LS1 Z28 he had my black SS wing on it with my polished C5 Z06 wheels and new right then he wrecked it and transferred what was left onto the new car. I give you credit at least you got your car back and more knowledgable fixing it up then most, good luck with it.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-28-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great! I like the silver wheels best, but just my opinion.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharp looking beast!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks fellas
Old 11-09-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

The car is officially in the garage for the winter. Put storage coverage on it Friday. I have been thinking of some things I want to do to it over the winter since we all know I couldn't just let it sit all winter...

As I have mentioned before. I have the 97-02 dash conversion sitting in the basement. Still need a cluster (which I just need to get around to get from Fred (mongo). Also a HVAC unit as well which should be easy to come by at a junkyard. Also, the dash pad.

The ttop conversion will probably wait closer to spring so the car isn't sitting in the garage with bare filler and bare metal all winter until I can get it into work to repaint the roof. I suppose I could just throw some rattle can etch over it in the meantime.

I still need to hang another light in the garage before I tackle any projects so I can see what I'm doing in there! Thats just the matter of going to my parents house and getting the other plug and play 8 footer.

Seats:
Lately, I've been looking into seats as there aren't many plug and play options without buying a used set that has a bolster on its way out. 6LE's look like the best bang for the buck.

Rear seat delete:
I haven't had the rear seats back in the car since I first bought it back and tore it apart. I was thinking of making a rear seat delete since my brother is pretty handy with wood and I could just wrap it in some carpet but I think ill just buy one. Is there a company still making these?

Taillights:
I just came to the realization that I never wired the taillights properly after swapping to the 98-02 tails. Does anyone have a write up on this? I believe I need to run a wire from the brake switch to the tails.

Exhaust:
In my old age, a quiet, cleaner exhaust has been sounding more and more appealing. I have been thinking of ditching the "dynomouth" for a nice magnaflow or hooker catback. I also have the 2OTL sitting around I will probably end up selling as well. Also I need to get the car up on the hoist (come spring) and re tweek my whole exhaust. I have had a small pesky header leak from the header to the y pipe that I can't seem to get rid of. Biggest thing I hate about these headers is the 3.5" collectors.

Bumper:
I'm still on the hunt for a nice clean front bumper

On another completely unrelated note (kinda)... I have been looking at some 97+ rollers.
Now, I have my eye on one that is a 2000 v6, blown motor, ttop, pewter. Exterior seems to be pretty good shape other than a some sail panel damage which is going to need to be replaced regardless since the bubbling issue.

Option 1) Use it as a parts car (maybe a good dash pad (still waiting for interior pics), seats, front end swap?)
Option 2) build the car I have always wanted, 5.3, turbo, S60, hugger orange!
Option 3) Michael you're a dumbass, you have to many projects as it is. get off craigslist, your girlfriend of 7 years wants a ring...

So lol....

Let me hear your thoughts.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't quite say #3, but - relationship advice: man if ya'll have been together for 7 years and aren't married then you need to ask yourself - Why?
Either she is the love of your life who has patiently stuck by you all this time........or there is some underlying reason that you haven't given her that ring yet.....and therefore should resolve it and either pop the question or cut her loose.
That's my take on it from an old man who stayed married way too long to the wrong woman, and then waited a few years too long to marry the right one because I was afraid she'd turn out to be wrong too. Thankfully I came to my senses before she did....still have her and couldn't be happier.
car advice: Decide what the one car you'd really REALLY love to have most. (Or since you're probably cursed like me - the 2 cars.) The ultimate reliable driver whether daily at least often and the ultimate toy.
Work towards that (those). I could be wrong, but think that you love this 93 enough that it qualifies for your ultimate driver. Keep tweaking it until it's just right, but don't get crazy with big power mods and stuff unless you are sure you want to deal with the trade-offs. There are always trade-offs. Even with the ported heads - there will be no downside that will make it less driveable, but there is the chunk of money you'll spend.
I have a H/C Lt1 97 SS that is a lot of fun, but the stock engine in my 95 Formula is just as fun for what I use them for - just driving around and ripping on them on the street sometimes. Both 6 speeds with 4.10's.
I wish I hadn't bought either one of them....or spent the thousands of dollars modding them....or on the list of other 4th gens I now have. My one ultimate car is a '61 Bel Air that I could have finished with the money I've spent on these things....and would have had money left over to have a second virtually identical one to drive anywhere.
Sure the F-bodies have been fun, but were never and never will be what I personally want. So in that regards they've been a waste of time and money.

Most of what I said about the cars could apply to the relationship advice part too. Don't miss out on the right one by spending time/money having fun with the wrong one. And if you already have the right one - realize it and leave the rest alone.

Ramblings.... Hind sight is 20/20.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the life advice

A short back story on the girlfriend. She is the one, I don't know many other women that would put up with my ****.

We started dating when she was 17 and I was 19. Now I'm 26...

She has been jumping around schools trying to get into a nursing program. Finally getting into one she will be finishing up next winter. Reason being we haven't gotten engaged. Me just buying my first house and focusing on paying the bills and working and her focusing on school and spending my money

So next summer is going to be the year.

----

As for the car. I don't know what one will ill have more fun with. I have fun building a car. Thats what I enjoy. Standing back and saying. I started with it at the bottom, now its here..... Thats the true thing that puts a smile on my face.

Quick Reply: I bought my old 93 Z28 back, now it needs some TLC