LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Security / PCM issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 Security / PCM issues?

Completely baffled with my 1996 Z28 M6 right now.

When I try to start the car it does nothing and the security light comes on.

Bought a new key. This made no difference.

Tested the voltage going through the key switch(orange wire under dash). Tested within 1% of the value of the key.

Tried the resistor trick. This worked for a while. The resistors had same value as the key chip. I drove the car for 2 weeks like this. Made an exact copy of the resistors and they did not work.

Pulled into the gas station and hit a pot hole pretty hard core. Got gas and the car has not started since.

I then tried the vats override box from ebay. This has three wires, black blue and red. Black is ground, red is 12v accessory and blue goes into pin 25 of the red block on the pcm. This box has a light that lights up, car still does not start. I still have to wait the 3 min with the security light on.

The PCM was wet when I pulled it out, but its metal. Didnt look too bad, but figure its worth mentioning.

What is the issue with my car?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are know for this this is how you can fix it. go to the chevy dealer and buy a new cylinder make sure you have a new key made and the new key fob is programed take off the pannel under the stering colum there will be one wire yellow that runs up the colom to the cylinder, that usuallly has a bad connection. plug in the new cylinder and install key so it will read the pass. this will bypass it and you can use the other key to start the car from the colum . tape the key in the cylinder under the dash and zip tie it up. its hillbily but i did it 3-4 times on other fbodys with pass key.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 AM
11 Second Club

This happened to mine and I had to get a new ignition cylinder and a new key from the chevy dealer.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Doesnt the box that I bought work to bypass the key system?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-VA...Q5fAccessories

Also, how much did a new key switch cost you? They are about 50 on ebay.
Could I take it back it this isnt it?

Also, we tested the resistance of my current key switch and it is reading the value of the key (9.5 ohms)

Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

who knows it could be making things worse you most likely gonna need the cylinder replaced or hill billy it like i said i drove mine for 6 years and never had another problem it takes 15 min to rig up just make sure the key has the same resistor. better yet if you have a set of keys just by a cyiinder and give it a try for a few $$
Old 05-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Default keys

You can always measure the resistance of the key insert and solder a resister into the wiring harness to bypass the VATS. This is how you would do it on the dyno.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

why not just have a speed shop that does tuning turn off the VATS in your PCM?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

jump the relay and get it out of the way. I had the exact same issue and i pulled the relay and jumped the purple wire so that it would crank. Later, I programmed it out.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

jump the starter relay what exactly did you do
Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Teching In

When the lock is rotated, Ignition voltage is applied to the Body Control Module and pellet resistance is read at this time. The Pellet resistance is read across connector C3 terminals "C2" and "D7" which is then compared against the resistance value stored in the module. If the Key Resistance Pellet is the proper resistance, connector C3 terminal "C11" is grounded, energizing the Theft Deterrent Relay. At the same time, a signal is applied at connector C3 terminal "D8" to enable the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When this signal is received by the PCM, it allows fuel injector pulses to begin. If the Key Resistor Pellet is the wrong value, the Body Control Module will shut down for 3 minutes + or - 18 seconds. During this interval, there will he no output at connector C terminals "C11" or "D8" and the SECURITY" Indicator will illuminate. The Ignition Switch input is ignored during this shut down period. For this reason, the timer will run and the "SECURITY" Indicator will rein am illuminated with Ignition on or off. Once the timer has completed its 3 minute + or - 18 second shut down, the next time Ignition is cycled from off to on, the Body Control Module timer is reset. A key having the correct code can then be used to start the Engine.

I have also heard that if the 'key in ignition' sensor in the key cylinder isn't working properly then that could cause problems, but I have personally not run across this.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 Security / PCM issues?-vats1of2.gif   LT1 Security / PCM issues?-vats2of2.gif  
Old 05-04-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6801
jump the starter relay what exactly did you do
On the right side of the dash, there is a gray relay that has the purple wire going to it. If you pull the glove box, it's buried in there. I unplugged the relay and used a hard wire to jump the terminals (effectively disabling the relay and making it a solid wire all the way through. That takes out all the security I think and let's you start the car. worked for me. I drove it that way for a couple of weeks before programming it out.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
On the right side of the dash, there is a gray relay that has the purple wire going to it. If you pull the glove box, it's buried in there. I unplugged the relay and used a hard wire to jump the terminals (effectively disabling the relay and making it a solid wire all the way through. That takes out all the security I think and let's you start the car. worked for me. I drove it that way for a couple of weeks before programming it out.
That only bypasses the TDR. It does not bypass all of the VATS.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shbox
That only bypasses the TDR. It does not bypass all of the VATS.
Makes sense, like I was saying, worked for me the way I did it. I didn't know what else was involved in the VATS setup either so I eliminated what I could. If he jumps this connector and it doesn't start, then he should at least know that it is VATS and not something else (assuming he's got spark, fuel, and the starter is fine and no wiring issues)

Quick Reply: LT1 Security / PCM issues?