LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sounds like firecrackers in my transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Sounds like firecrackers in my transmission!

At the beginning of summer I was ripping up the twisty's in my local mountain range when I was braking hard approaching a corner and it sounded like firecrackers coming from the transmission area.

It still does this. I've been trying to find a pattern to it and what I've found is this:

Most of the time, it happens in gear (any gear) and at high rpm (over 4K) while hard braking and it does it when at high rpm and engine braking without the pedal brake and it does it at high speeds (over 90 mph is a guarantee) out of gear and braking hard.

It sounds like either firecrackers or a two-step on a turbo car, it's really weird. The car performs like nothing's wrong, everything works as it should. I can feel a slight pulsation on my brake pedal when this happening. Nothing is dangling in the undercarriage. Lately I've noticed the clutch makes a static shock noise during normal driving every once in a while. Could a piece of something be getting bounced around inside the transmission from all the g-forces of slowing down quickly?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be a clutch, brake or rear end problem. The drive shaft is a great conductor of sounds from the rear end so I wouldn't completely rule it out. Also are you sure it isn't popping coming from the exhaust?

The T56 is pretty stout in these cars... the most common failure is syncro not gears.

Some things to try..... with the following tests please do in a safe manner.
If you are at speed in gear then let off the gas let DFCO kick in then turn the ignition off then brake hard does it still do it? (if no then it probably is exhaust sounds)
If you put it in neutral and slam on the brakes will it do it? (if yes then it may be a problem with the brakes)
If you put it in reverse and at some speed (in a safe zone please) brake hard does it make the sound? (if yes then it may be a problem in the rear end, rear suspension or drive shaft)
You would most likely have to pull the trans to check the clutch.