LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about pinion angle from the pros of suspension tuning please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about pinion angle from the pros of suspension tuning please!

I'm getting 1.66 60ft's but I know I could do a little better. My whole rear is supported by BMR and it's all adjutable. I've found the sweet spot running 15 psi in my mickey thompson's. I'm wondering where I could adjust to get it to hook a little better. I'm set pretty much at stock settings with the panhard, control arms and -2 degree's on the Tq arm. I was wondering if I should adjust the torque arm but really dont know which way to go. Any advice on where i should set it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

put this in either the suspension or drag race section. u will get a better response
Old 10-21-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always kept my pinion angle at -2, didn't mess with it too much.

You don't want to go too far with adjusting it since it will not only make the joint wear faster, but a sharp angle will actually increase drivetrain loss as well. Adjusting too much the other way can quickly lead to a blown rear end.

I would look elsewhere for 60' improvements - like weight transfer, lightening the front end, spring rates, and shock settings.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Puck is saying... pinion angle really isn't a tuning aid. Most guys run -2 to -3 degrees and leave it. You will want to look at shocks, LCA's and front TQ arm adjustments to better your 60's.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Ok so what the hell is the point of an adjustable torque arm, lol! I'm being mislead here or I wasted my money I guess on an adjustable BMR torque arm. Doesn't seem correct at some point here!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
You will want to look at shocks, LCA's and front TQ arm adjustments to better your 60's.
Also air bags in the back (15 psi on the Pass / 10 on the Driver's) also help as well.

FYI - My Pinion Angle is set at -3.5 degrees; it bites harder than when I had it set at -2 degrees. Oh, and the F-body guy from UMI told me he set his at -6 (!) so don't think that -3.5 is too extreme.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

There is really no way for someone to tell ya what's the best thing for Ur car. Every car is different and its just moving and adjusting till u find what works and doesn't't work. That's why tracks have test and tune. I'm not by all means trying to come off as a dick or anything... I try to understand how some can do things to suspension and make it all come together. My thought is that u want to adjust the front of the torque arm and when done u reset opinion angle. In my head and and I could be wrong opinion angle is just the adjustment for the driveshaft angle and not to make Ur suspension hit harder or softer.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

To answere Ur ? on what is the reason for an adj TA.. its to reposition Ur drive-line angle after lowering Ur car or any ride height adj.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Roger that thanks guys, I may try to take a degree out of it....Makes since every car is different. I'll have to mess with it a bit to see what she likes.

Quick Reply: Question about pinion angle from the pros of suspension tuning please!