LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking for a bit of advice..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looking for a bit of advice..

So i have a knocking sound coming from the left rocker cover, im almost 100% sure that its lose.

Im wondering what kind of symptoms you get when you have your rockers are not adjusted perfectly?

I have a stock rebuild with a cc503 and LT Pacesetters, The car has been dyno'd but i know my car is capable of soo much more.

My car runs wayyyy better when its colder outside and the oil is colder and thicker. It seems heat related in a since. It also can be very inconsistent. Occasionally very choppy idle, pitch of the exhaust changes and if i bring up to 4k or higher when i left off the gas i get one loud backfire.

Im wanting to start the engine up with the rocker covers off and adjust them that way.. How reliable is this method? And how exactly is it done?
All help is truly appreciated. If you need a video clip id be happy to get one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Im wanting to start the engine up with the rocker covers off and adjust them that way.. How reliable is this method?
Its actually really reliable, anytime I put new rockers on a car, I always use the procedure recommended by GM, (http://bellsouthpwp.net/D/T/DTK123/l...adjustment.htm) and then fine tune them with the engine running if needed. If the rockers are already on and just need adjustment, (which is the case here) the GM procedure is not needed.

And how exactly is it done?
It's pretty straight forward. Take the valve covers off, start the car, and just go down each bank and adjust the rockers individually. Slowly loosen the rocker until you start to hear clatter, then tighten until clatter stops. (this point is called "zero lash") Then tighten another 2/3 of a turn to preload the rocker arm. If you have 1.6 rockers, or any type of aftermarket rocker, it is important to follow their preload specs and procedures.

Good luck, and let us know how she turns out.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

stock rockers, but accommodating comp springs
Old 10-25-2010, 04:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by red-_-z28
So i have a knocking sound coming from the left rocker cover, im almost 100% sure that its lose.

Im wondering what kind of symptoms you get when you have your rockers are not adjusted perfectly?

I have a stock rebuild with a cc503 and LT Pacesetters, The car has been dyno'd but i know my car is capable of soo much more.

My car runs wayyyy better when its colder outside and the oil is colder and thicker. It seems heat related in a since. It also can be very inconsistent. Occasionally very choppy idle, pitch of the exhaust changes and if i bring up to 4k or higher when i left off the gas i get one loud backfire.

Im wanting to start the engine up with the rocker covers off and adjust them that way.. How reliable is this method? And how exactly is it done?
All help is truly appreciated. If you need a video clip id be happy to get one.

Thanks in advance.
If the rockers are too loose, then they can come off the valve stem and the valves are staying closed too long. If the rockers are too tight, they can hang open. Both are not good.

And you said the car was dynoed, but don't mention anything about a tune. Dynoing is not tuning. The tune is EVERYTHING. Do you have a mail-order or what?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If the rockers are too loose, then they can come off the valve stem and the valves are staying closed too long. If the rockers are too tight, they can hang open. Both are not good.

And you said the car was dynoed, but don't mention anything about a tune. Dynoing is not tuning. The tune is EVERYTHING. Do you have a mail-order or what?
Soory about that, i have a TUNE lol done through a dyno.

Quick Reply: Looking for a bit of advice..