LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Radiator Problems....someone shed some light on this for me

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator Problems....someone shed some light on this for me

Hey guys I think I might have a crack in one of the plastic ends of my radiator. The car is a 1995 Z28. I guess this is a common problem since the ends are plastic. This radiator is a GM part that was put in new about 3 1/2 years ago. It only leaks when the weather is very cold (it's been like 15-20 degrees here at night this week) and the car has sat for about 1 to 1 1/2 days. It leaked last winter/fall and I just assumed it was cracked but then as the weather warmed up it stopped. It was completely fine this summer but the first night it was in the teens, it leaked the next day. I'm thinking about getting a new radiator but wanted to see first if this problem is common and what luck anyone has had with radiators other than GM ones. Thanks guys.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Launching!

constant overheating can crack the plastic end, mine blowup ones when the fans stop working and I was not standing by the car i left it started in the garden.

Anyway take the radiator out inspect it and clean it, any good radiator shop has those plastic end in stock and will install it for you, even on the small island i live they had it, so i doubt that in the US they does not.

Leaking in the winter and not in the summer. Maybe it expanding and doest leak, are u shure its the plastic end. that weird. or does it happen when the car get to operating temp.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Launching!

See I thought the same thing about it expanding in the summer just enough to stop. Weird thing is that now it has stopped at least for the last 2 days. The nighttime temperatures are around 20-25 degrees. It has me really scratching my head. None of the hoses or hose ends look wet....???