LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Procharger on stock LT-1 bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Procharger on stock LT-1 bottom end?

Hi everyone, I just finished a 2 year restoration/modding project on my 94 Formula and have been considering adding a used procharger setup to get me up to about 420-450 RWHP...can the stock pistons take 6 lbs of intercooled boost safely if I get a MSD boost retard and run 42lb injectors with upgraded fuel pump and new tune from PCMforless? The setup I am looking at is the single air to air intercoooler version. I want to get a bigger pulley because this p600b procharger runs at 8lbs...I want to play it safe at 6lbs. Just to give you some background on the car, the engine was just freshened up with new rings, bearings, high volume oil pump 2K miles ago. It is mostly stock with just 52mm TB, ported intake manifold, 1.6RR, beehive valve springs, lunati voodoo #60121 cam, mid-tube headers, hollowed cat, magnaflow cat back. The car will be used 99% for street duty; so I want lots of torque Anyone have any experience with low boost on a stock LT1? I know ported heads or aftermarket heads would be the next logical step for a cam only motor like this...but that supercharged torque sounds very tempting...
Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

put the money into a better pistons... not to many have been successful boosting the stock bottom end, including me! It will live for awhile and a spot on tune is critical to longevity!! I had had a p1sc kit on a 20k mi lt1 back in 03'... It lasted 4k mi before #8 ringland let go... It was stock tune with that shitty fmu maxed, so it was running pig rich. It made 420whp @ 8psi... Didnt know any better back then, since I was one of the first procharged lt1 cars around. Knowbody knew **** and prochargers customer support was pretty much non existent then. boosting a lt1 successfully takes lots of time, patience, and MONEY!! Good luck
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, take my word for it, my motor was toasted within 1000 miles of boosting it at 6 lbs.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should look at big combustion chamber heads and a very good dyno tune if you want to go that route. Even that isn't the greatest idea with the stock bottom end... but it's safer than stock compression and an ok tune.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Hi everyone, I just finished a 2 year restoration/modding project on my 94 Formula and have been considering adding a used procharger setup to get me up to about 420-450 RWHP...can the stock pistons take 6 lbs of intercooled boost safely if I get a MSD boost retard and run 42lb injectors with upgraded fuel pump and new tune from PCMforless? The setup I am looking at is the single air to air intercoooler version. I want to get a bigger pulley because this p600b procharger runs at 8lbs...I want to play it safe at 6lbs. Just to give you some background on the car, the engine was just freshened up with new rings, bearings, high volume oil pump 2K miles ago. It is mostly stock with just 52mm TB, ported intake manifold, 1.6RR, beehive valve springs, lunati voodoo #60121 cam, mid-tube headers, hollowed cat, magnaflow cat back. The car will be used 99% for street duty; so I want lots of torque Anyone have any experience with low boost on a stock LT1? I know ported heads or aftermarket heads would be the next logical step for a cam only motor like this...but that supercharged torque sounds very tempting...
First of all, you won't have a lot of torque down low. At 6psi max, you're talking about 6 psi @ 6000-6500 RPM. Lower in the RPM range, you won't see much gain. Superchargers (unless you're high in boost) are better for power up high. If you want that low-end torque, go for a small turbo.

Not sure on the specs of the cam, but it may not be ideal for a blower, and definitely won't be ideal for a turbo. Change the cam.

And get that bottom end beefed up. Forged pistons at a minimum, pistons and rods recommended, and pistons, rods, and crank suggested.
It's not worth boosting that low and taking the risk on a stock bottom end.
For the power and torque you're looking for, it would almost be worth it to do a bit more work on the top end and keep it N/A.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qc97z
If you want that low-end torque, go for a small turbo.
Or a roots blower.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

switch to e85 and roll out. running pig rich is what killed that ring land, as posted above.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Launching!

I know the rods and pistons are pretty much a given to upgrade but I hear the stock LT1 crank is really strong for nitrous or boost. Any truth in that?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the stock crank is good for around 500HP, but I am personally changing over to a forged crank regardless.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

I hear what you all are saying...it would be cheaper and easier to just stick N/A for now and just get ported heads or aftermarket ones for my next step up in performance. It would suck to put the supercharger on just to see my motor pop in 2K mikes Especially after it was just rebuilt. By the time I would build a forged bottom end, get the supercharger, injectors, fuel pump, MSD, tune, gauges, ect. I would be looking at spending $10K plus. . and weeks or months of downtime....which is very expensive when you look at horsepower per dollar gains. How much torque can be gained from ported factory heads anyway? Do you even notice the difference in ported/aftermarket vs. stock heads in the lower RPM ranges (less than 4K RPM)? I suppose I could deal with just 390-400 RWHP. Thanks for the advice! Keep it coming!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

i'm running 7-8psi on my daily driver right now. custom remote mount set-up on a 145k internally stock motor. call me crazy been running it like that for almost a year and a half. still runnin' strong. only thing that has broke on me are multiple opti's, gears, and tranny.

definitely need a good fuel system and tune to keep from blowing **** up
Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear what you all are saying...it would be cheaper and easier to just stick N/A for now and just get ported heads or aftermarket ones for my next step up in performance. It would suck to put the supercharger on just to see my motor pop in 2K mikes Especially after it was just rebuilt. By the time I would build a forged bottom end, get the supercharger, injectors, fuel pump, MSD, tune, gauges, ect. I would be looking at spending $10K plus. . and weeks or months of downtime....which is very expensive when you look at horsepower per dollar gains. How much torque can be gained from ported factory heads anyway? Do you even notice the difference in ported/aftermarket vs. stock heads in the lower RPM ranges (less than 4K RPM)? I suppose I could deal with just 390-400 RWHP. Thanks for the advice! Keep it coming!
You should read "my story." Last year, I installed a turbo system on my Z, and ran 5-6 lbs. of boost for roughly 900 miles. I ended up going to the Shootout, ran like absolute garbage, couldn't build boost, and finally blew the car in October shortly after the Shootout.

See though, I expected mine to fail. I knew the day would come where I would be sitting in my garage, ripping everything apart to start a new. And that's where I am at right now. F/I is not affordable, so if that is a factor for you, do not do it. It will cost you.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Requires good tune and keep fresh premium in it. Mine has lived a long time on 9lbs.
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

jennifer i didnt know you blew the motor. been there and done that twice. talk about a headache. im reving my stock bottom end to 6800 with my le2 setup.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jon@BruteSpeed
Requires good tune and keep fresh premium in it. Mine has lived a long time on 9lbs.

Holy hell, I wondered if that car was still alive. Awesome to hear it's still going. I have you bookmarked on my browser.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, ported stock heads/intake, TB, and a cam can make a big difference and can get you 390-400 RWHP and then some. The possibility is definitely there.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know it's a 383, but my ported stock heads and a medium-sized cam put out 440tq.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As stated good tune/fuel system. GM high tech just featured an LT1 built by brutespeed running 8psi on the stock bottom end for years running 10 second passes
Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
As stated good tune/fuel system. GM high tech just featured an LT1 built by brutespeed running 8psi on the stock bottom end for years running 10 second passes
Several posts above:

Originally Posted by Jon@BruteSpeed
Not sure if you noticed that or not?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

injectors,fuel pump,and good tune...you should be okay..i was running 8lbs on my stock lt1 with no problems,2 year DD....But desided i wanted to crank up boost so pistons got changes along with cam...etc...You have the right parts to run that type of boost..

Quick Reply: Procharger on stock LT-1 bottom end?