LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD 6AL Digital?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD 6AL Digital?

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/6425/10002/-1

Hey guys, so my tuner suggested this product to help out the power drops on the dyno sheet. I see the new digital one just came out...

So is this worth the money? I have a 96 Lt1 stock rebuilt with LT pacestters and a cc503 running through an a4. Will this put too much stress on my opti? How easy is it to install? And would it be smarter to just get the original 6AL?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to be similar to a 6al, is it worth it, maybe. I have a dig 6 and for me its worth having the rev limiter. I don't know how much power you will pickup from the box but it won't be anything crazy.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I've never been a fan of aftermarket ignitions as sometimes they can be more trouble than they are worth. A properly functioning optispark setup is all you should really need unless you're spraying or have boost. I have no intentions of running one on my motor and have zero ignition issues. The rev limiter is a bonus but it's nothing the stock PCM can't be programmed to do.

Aftermarket ignition systems are great on the older HEI systems where you could certainly feel the benefit, but on fuel injected cars the gains are diminished. It's been dyno-proven on several LT1s to gain exactly zero HP.

On another note, what issues are you chasing with your dyno charts? If you've got issues now an aftermarket ignition probably won't fix it anyway.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant explain this right but instead of the lines on the dyno sheet going straight up they drop badly (nothing i can feel on the road but the dyno picks it up. Moe Bailey suggested getting one of these to enhance the spark and to prevent that happening. I actually get two big drops which he found very rare! I just worked out many bugs and finally today i was reminded how much power the car actually has. Im not throwing any codes or anything but maybe its the tune? I just have my doubts on the tune.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red-_-z28
i cant explain this right but instead of the lines on the dyno sheet going straight up they drop badly (nothing i can feel on the road but the dyno picks it up. Moe Bailey suggested getting one of these to enhance the spark and to prevent that happening. I actually get two big drops which he found very rare! I just worked out many bugs and finally today i was reminded how much power the car actually has. Im not throwing any codes or anything but maybe its the tune? I just have my doubts on the tune.
That probably a shielding issues with the spark plug wires or the pickup they are using on your wires during the tune.

Quick Reply: MSD 6AL Digital?