LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

spark plugs? advise please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spark plugs? advise please.

I have full bolt ons and a madz28 tune and need new plugs. I had tr55's or tr6's, wich ever is hotter. It never idled perfect and I was wondering if a delco double platunum would be better as that is what it had from the factory being a 1993. Or should I go with the autolitexp's? Thanks in advance for the advise.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

with virtually any plug of the correct heat range the car should idle fine.......i've personally had great luck with the tr55 plugs in stock motors.............i've been running a much colder NGK in mine also now and have had good luck.............sounds like your idle issue is caused buy something else other than the plugs......
Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
with virtually any plug of the correct heat range the car should idle fine.......i've personally had great luck with the tr55 plugs in stock motors.............i've been running a much colder NGK in mine also now and have had good luck.............sounds like your idle issue is caused buy something else other than the plugs......
+1. It's very unlikely that the plugs are your problem. Specifically, what IS the problem with your idle? You don't list any symptoms, just "never idled perfect."

My question is, what makes you think you need new plugs?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Well I already know what the problem is, the tune is just pig rich kn warmup, I just thought a better plug might help.xp'i think im gunna try the double plat acdelco or xp's. I know I need plugs because I pulled one and theyr fouled because of how rich it runs when cold. I sounds cammed lol. I threw it on the wideband and confirmed my thoughts on the tune, I will probubly do some data logging with ion.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Putting in new plugs is just setting your money on fire. If you put new plugs in they're just going to foul out again. Get the tune fixed first, THEN change the plugs.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Yep I know. I'm actually a mechanic. I just wanted to see what opinions on brands are for my setup. I always learn from you guys, like I would never used ngk plugs for anything but a honda until I talk to you guys. I just don't have time to fix it with a 4 year old and newborn and working fulltime plus sidework all days of the week.

Quick Reply: spark plugs? advise please.