LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How to Swap Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default How to Swap Door Handles

Well I searched around online and couldn't find any guides on how to swap out the door handles. I got some new replacement ones to replace my floppy driver's side door handle. Just wondering if anyone knew of a write-up or had some tips on going about this.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty easy, I'm assuming the T/A handles will be the same as Camaro.

This is all from memory so I hope it's all right

1. With the window up, take off the interior door trim panel. This is actually the hardest part just because it's a pain in the *** to twist and get out all the pieces. There are 3 large screws that hold it in around the arm handle (what you grab to close the door from the inside. 2 are visible on the left of the arm, another is hidden slightly underneath the 'elbow' of the arm. Pop off the window switch panel, unscrew 1 screw right behind the inner door handle, and another underneath and to the right of the window switch. The piece that holes the window switch and slides into the inner handle will have to be removed first. pry out the door lock rod cover (black piece with orange bar that lets you know if the car is locked) then Rotate and pull out the whole bezel carefully counterclockwise. Now you should be able to pull the entire trim panel up and out towards you. Do this carefully too.

2. With he door panel removed, you may need to remove a plastic vapor shield, try to remove it so you can glue it back on or use any existing glue so you can put it back just how it was. The door handle will have a rod with a plastic retainer on it. With a screw driver pop off the plastic retainer around the door handle **** carefull so it can be re-used or replace if you have a new one. There are two flimsy nuts on the inside of the outer door handle, find the appropriate size socket and remove them. Rotate the handle towards you while pulling it up and out.

3. Install in reverse order.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

thanks for the in depth write up
Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The outer door handle? There is a spring that puts tension on them. When they break, you get the floppy handle.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-18-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
The outer door handle? There is a spring that puts tension on them. When they break, you get the floppy handle.
any idea on the specific name of that spring? I've had no luck searching for it through google.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think its sold separately from the handle. Figured you might score one at a junkyard or maybe someone's part out.

Quick Reply: How to Swap Door Handles