LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone in Chicago want to make some $$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in Chicago want to make some $$$

I am at my wits end with trying to get my hub off of mt LT1. If anyone can come over here and get it off I would be more than happy to pay you for this. I destroyed my UD pulley, my 5ft breaker bar, and possibly the crank in the engine. I've had it with this car, PM me and I'll call you or give you my phone number. I'm in the western suburbs
Old 04-16-2011, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

99% chance that you are simply doing it wrong. You CANNOT just use the puller itself to pull the hub off. Most people attempt to do it like that. There is a small step on the inside of the hub that the pointed part of the puller will hit. The pointed part will never touch the crank. You will end up trying the pull the hub apart (you won't be able to) and you will bend tools and end up frustrated doing so.

You need a long bolt (about 3-4" long) that is thinner than the crank hub bolts diameter. An allen headed bolt works best but if you dont have an allen headed bolt you can use a regular bolt. You insert the bolt inside of the hub so that it BOTTOMS out inside of the crankshaft. Then you attach the puller with the pointed tip into the allen head so that all of the force from the puller is pushing into the bolt which is bottomed out in the crankshaft. If you don't have an allen headed bolt then place a socket over the regular bolt that you are using so that the puller can center itself on it. The puller will come off in 30 seconds.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^I agree I've broken two pullers trying to figure how to get the hub off until I tried the method joelster mentioned and it worked flawlessly.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Launching!

I appreciate the help, but I have an UD pulley that is making my life hell right now. I have the 3 prong "claw" style gear/pulley puller on the outer most ridge on the pulley. I tried using a smaller diameter bolt inside the crank hole and the puller just mushroomed the bolt in there and now it's stuck. Is it possible to drill out the stuck bolt and re-tap the crank? It doesnt sound very promising, but there must be another way
Old 04-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Launching!

I tried every type of puller from autozone and I just got back with a steering wheel puller so I can thread it into the holes of the hub. Hopefully this will give me some relief. I already broke the tensioner trying to pry/tap the opposite side with a hammer and I'm pretty sure I trashed my UD pulley. I've been trying to get the hub off longer than it took me to take out all the parts to get me here. So frustrating......
Old 04-16-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder why the UD pulley is being so stubborn. I usually just tap those off with a hammer on the bottom side of the motor. If you ever do get the UD pulley off I have some pics that may help.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys, I'm done freaking out now. This is as far "into" (if you can even call it that) the motor I've attempted so I was a little bit on edge. I got the UD pulley off with the rented puller from AZ (I've been there 6 times today...) There is also a crank bolt down in the hub so i didnt jam anything in there that would hurt the crank like I thought earlier. The allen head bolt is really the way to go. I went to ace hardware and bought one just for this and it was by far the best $2.80 I've spent in a long time. Also, thanks to luckyou03 for the pics, I came across them while I was googling the crap out of how to remove the hub, good info there. I dont think I'm going to be taking off the hub, I'm just going to replace the water pump & seals and the opti seals and O rings so I wont need to remove the front cover. I've had enough fun this week working on this. Thanks again for the help guys
Old 04-16-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

lol then why were u trying to take it off??
Old 04-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

He had to get the UD pully out of the way to get the opti clear so he could replace the seal and o rings for the opti and water pump.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

He had another post that showed a picture of the UD pully and it was overlapping the Opti. The pictures made it alot easier to understand why he needed to remove it. If I was near him in Chicago or he was near me in Florida, I would have gladly come over with my puller and bolt to help him remove it. I had the same problem a while back and have since used my puller and bolt several times they work great together. Glad to hear you got it all straightened out my95LTwon.

Quick Reply: Anyone in Chicago want to make some $$$