LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad Fuel Pump and Low Operating Voltage. Any relation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Fuel Pump and Low Operating Voltage. Any relation?

I am very certain my fuel pump is going out. I have not had a chance to check the pressure, but the car is showing the classic signs of fuel pump failure.

However, i was driving back from class today, stopped at a red light, and realized that my voltage needle was sitting right on the outside edge of the red markers on the gauge.

Would a bad fuel pump suck extra volts? Or is the Florida heat just killing my altenator?

It has been hot as hell here latley, so my altenator may just be going out too. Got to love the Canadian Parts Clock..lol..car hit a 100k and now the parts replacing shall begin. Ill have the altenator checked at the parts store tomorrow, i just wanted to ask here and see what any of you LT1 Veterans had to say about it.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

did you have the ac on blast along with the radio and possibly your lights? that alone will make the needle drop to the red
Old 04-19-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa_97_SS
I am very certain my fuel pump is going out. I have not had a chance to check the pressure,
...and this is where your post should have ended.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
...and this is where your post should have ended.
Lol..I'm a student and am in the middle of finals this week. I know I need to get a pressure gauge on the car.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tricked94camaro
did you have the ac on blast along with the radio and possibly your lights? that alone will make the needle drop to the red
I did have the a/c, radio, and lights on. However, i have run all these items together before and never saw a power surge.

I guess the only reason I asked was to get an understanding of what bad components could affect others, if at all.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

well you WERE at a red light when the needle dropped with everything on, im not surprised. i wouldnt worry. you just werent spinning the alt enough to keep up the power for the headlights, ac, radio, brake lights, etc happens to me all the time if my car is on full load and idleing
Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Yeah I realize how dumb that question sounded..lol. I know that the needle can drop at idle while sitting at a red light. But even with all my accessories on its never dropped THAT low. The alternator is fine and I have a brand new Red Top, so it just made me curious.

Since the fuel pump has been giving me grief I figured I'd ask and see if a bad pump could in fact suck extra volts. Never hurts to lear when one bad component could affect another.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

idk if a bad pump will cause a drop in voltage. never had an issue before. what makes you think it's going out?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

A bad fuel pump drawing excessive current would blow the fuse shutting down the engine. This fuse should be 20 amps.

Low running voltage will cause the fuel pump to run slower and possibly not produce enough PSI that's needed which would reduce performance.

I would start by finding out why your voltage is running low.

Checking your fuel pressure is also a good idea.

A kit like this would look nice in anybodies tool box:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-...motiveQ5fTools
Old 04-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tricked94camaro
what makes you think it's going out?
Well nothing is for certain untill I get a pressure gauge on the car. I adopted a neglected pup this month and had a pretty hefty vet bill to get him up to speed on shots and such.

So the fuel pressure gauge will have to wait untill the 1st of May.

But the car has been harder and harder to start. When i turn the ignition the pump never turns on. If i switch the ignition off, then back on it will start..rough for a couple seconds (maybe 3 sec.), then it runs and idles fine. I also get a slight smell of fuel after the car finally starts.

So thats why I originally said that I have classic fuel pump issues..lol
Old 04-22-2011, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

If i switch the ignition off, then back on it will start..rough for a couple seconds (maybe 3 sec.), then it runs and idles fine. I also get a slight smell of fuel after the car finally starts.
So thats why I originally said that I have classic fuel pump issues..lol
Sounds more likely just basic tune-up issues. Fuel smell is from long crank time during hard-to-start. Maybe old plugs -just check one and replace all if any signs of wear. Possible but unlikely fuel smell from leaking injectors -verify that by checking schrader valve after sitting overnight; no pressure release = leaking injector(s). Leaking injector = has to build pressure to start. Has to build pressure to start = long crank time & fuel smell.
Could be dirty MAF, spray clean with correct MAF Cleaner. Don't use oiled air filter.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Launching!

I will definitely check the injectors and MAF. Still have to wonder why the pump doesn't turn on when the iginition is turned on during the first try. Worst case is that I have a combination of fuel system issues.

Sucks that I have to wait till the first of the month to buy my pressure gauge..lol...because everything is simply speculation untill then.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vexzer
Could be dirty MAF, spray clean with correct MAF Cleaner. Don't use oiled air filter.
Like my oiled K&N CAI filter? I am assuming that some of that filter oil gets caught on the MAF? Never thought about that, but it would make sense.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

have to wait till the first of the month to buy my pressure gauge..lol
Borrow one from Autozone/OReilleys/Advance for free. Ask the counter guy.

Quick Reply: Bad Fuel Pump and Low Operating Voltage. Any relation?