LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need advice if this head work is worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice if this head work is worth it?

I have determined that unless I get a big raise next month when my 90 days is up at my new job (which is a possibility considering I have already been promoted), that I just cannot afford to have LE do any work to my heads.
I am rebuilding the LT1 in my car and have to get it back on the road asap because my parents are complaining about the 5000 miles I have put on their brand new 2011 Avalanche since they bought it in Dec. (Its a long story why my wife and I are living with my parents, but considering the new job, I think you can figure it out).

I spoke to a local machine shop that does alot of work for PSCA racers. He will be assembling my heads and a few other things for me. For $500 he can do some head work on the short side and gasket match my heads and intake.
My LT is a stock rebuild with ARP bolts and will be running the LE 218/224
.570/.565 cam with 1.6rr's, pat gold springs, 52mmtb, Pacesetter LT's, cat, ypipe, TSP Rumbler cat-back,LS1 lid and a few other things. I want to get some headwork done while the heads are off that I can afford,but I dont want to hurt more than help myself or spend unneccassary money.

Whats your thoughts???
Old 04-25-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you go to the bookstore and get a head porting book. do some studying and order the stuff you need to port them yourself. Go slow and easy. You don't need to do a race port but a good clean up and a technical porting and you have a stage one done by yourself.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id just use stock heads. That small cam should make pretty good power with stockers. I dont think the guy would mess the heads up but you possibly could if you do them yourself. A lot of local guys around here have tried porting their own heads on dirt track cars and end up slower afterwards.

Id save the 500 bucks and get the car back on the road. Then later on you can slap on an LE2 package.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

it always seems that people forget that the heads is what makes the power. the more air in the more air out. ya your running a small cam that will do good on stock heads but if you had some good head work done the car would be even stronger. i understand your finicial situation but hey if you can squeeze that 500 in to get some work done do it if not you need to at least gasket match. even gasket matching helps a ton
Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for it. If the guy is reputable and you are comfortable with his work, then why not? It may not be the hogged out version everyone else runs, but I'm sure it will do just fine on your mild rebuild. Besides it's only $500 and you can always go bigger when money allows.

Quick Reply: Need advice if this head work is worth it?