LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another motor mount question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Another motor mount question...

Well since my ebay stainless headers fit like the oj glove, i went for new motor mounts assume mine were sagging and old. So a pair of energy suspension motor mounts later...heres what im looking at. The passenger side is already in, this side of course has to be the side that sucks even more. I cant find a place to pry to make the motor move that way, if i jack it up and tug on the jack i cant get it to budge, trans mount and cross member are both loosened.

Whats the way to do this since im an idiot?

The bolt holes are about an inch off. and yes everything is loose, nothing is tightened down, and i still cant get enough play out of it.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man.. My motor mounts just came, and it looks like every thread about them makes it look like satans nightmare to install..
Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

well i persuaded it all together. I did motor mounts because the steering linkage was deffinetly not going to clear the header....

Well, i did a test fit...and hooray...IT SITS THE EXACT ******* SAME!!!! Ive already taken a hammer to the area near the steering linkage, but id literally need to flatted it to make it fit...I know im not the only one running these headers. It would be nice if someone would do like ive asked probably 4 times in previous threads, PLEASE TAKE A PIC OF YOUR DENTED HEADER FOR ME! I dont mean to sound like an *******, but how many times does a guy have to ask? Maybe i just need to dent them more, but ive already done a pretty good dent even though it doesnt look like it but perhaps this is what other people were looking at too? Maybe i just need to buy a set of pacesetters...this is getting rediculous

Last edited by trilkb; 04-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try separating the two parts of the motor mounts and bolt each to the block/chassis respectively. Take out the long big bolt in the middle, install the 3 bolts you have out there and that way you will only need to line up one bolt instead of 3? It worked really well for me, you can also use the bolts to get some leverage to move the engine a little bit. Sorry if this doesnt make sense...kind of hard to put it into words

I had to unbolt my engine today to do an oil pan gasket and when I lowered it back in it went in like cake. I didnt replace my mounts tho... so they were the crappy worn out stock ones.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Launching!

http://shbox.com/1/motor_mounts.jpg

You can see the bolt I'm talking about in the upper left under the copyright logo and in the bottom left in between the "s" and h". It's just one big bolt that holds the two mounting points together.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

yes i recently did my oil pan gasket as well, and i was planning on using the stock mounts until i had all these header fitment issues. so then i replaced them and now this one doesnt want to line up at all. basically i did what you said but befor you said it.

Thanks for the help

Obviously ebay headers havent been known for great fitment, but hell....how can you sell something be proud of it when it fits like complete dogshit? I was expecting a fight, its not like i havent read the threads about them and their fitment, but this is more like an all out war.

Pal-Performance was the ebaystore....stay far away from them. I wrote them an email asking how they can stand behind a product like this. Not expecting a response, but hey, maybe their customer service is better then their products.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine rubs too bubbah...i need to do solid mounts from sphon i think to get enough clearance
Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

rubs means it will go on. Mine will not even go on, and ive taken a 10lb sledge to the primary.

if the seller doesnt respond ill open an ebay case, saying the product i recieved does not match the sellers description....meaning the things dont fit, so they must be for another car
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you tried unbolting and moving the bottom of the steering column over?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

no i havent...this can be done?

Im sure its not easy to do at all though.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See you broke the temp sensor too

Al
Old 04-27-2011, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

^ Yea lol, that was great. It wasnt broken untill awhile ago. But hey, when you put an header in and out 10 times, what can you expect. The first 2 or 3 times it was fine, Then i heard the awesome snap of plastic.

Cant have a war without fatalities lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

well the unthinkable happened...they are willing to refund 65% of my money. I came up with this percent because they are getting a y pipe and 1 header back (2/3rds), they wouldve refunded 100% but i had already damaged the drivers side.

Whatever, lesson learned. the refund will go towards pacesetters im fairly sure. I ran them befor and i guess ill run them again.

Anyone want a beat up drivers side ebay header??...wonder how much stainless is going for a pound

EDIT: just bought a set of jet hots off of ws6store.com

Now all you admins can be happy, this post is against ebay headers, and in the end a sponser ended up with business!

Last edited by trilkb; 04-27-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Another motor mount question...