LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can a headgasket be blown with only ONE symptom?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a headgasket be blown with only ONE symptom?

And that symptom would be brown somewhat milkshake looking oil. No white exhaust. Coolant looks perfect. Ideas ? Just worn oil maybe.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd dump it and check the oil out of the car. I only had steam one day and started it to move it the next and the water showed up in the oil but I could not tell by the dip stick.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jaycenk
I'd dump it and check the oil out of the car. I only had steam one day and started it to move it the next and the water showed up in the oil but I could not tell by the dip stick.
Gr, just dumped the oil and replaced it. The oil dumped was the slightly brownish milkshake. How long minimum do i have to wait to re drain and check? Again this is the only thing off.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Do a check of the coolant then to see if there is any exhaust or carbon in it so you don't have to dump it right away if at all.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Pressurize your cooling system and see if the pressure bleeds down. There are several places coolant can get into your oil. And its usually coolant into the oil not vice versa because your coolant is under pressure and your oil is not.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Going to do the pressure test on the cooling system today. If i still have doubts next time i dump the oil though will the next cheapest method be those head gasket test kits that check it chemically? Do they actually work?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Teching In

many different things can happen when you blow a head gasket depending on where it blows out at, you can transfer compression between two cylinders, you can send compression from the cylinder into the cooling system, you can create an external coolant leak, just compression leak etc etc, so it depends on how its blow IF it would even be effective or not, so dont worry about that too much yet.

its been years since ive had to teardown an ltx but if they have coolant running through the intake manifold thats another likely suspect.

how much and how long do you run your car, if you just put around 1 mile twice a day once or twice a week or whatever it may be, and dont get the car completely warmed up you can produce condensation and have it mix in with the oil over time....

also take good note on your coolant level, if it never drops then you arent transferring any.

if you pressure drops and drops fairly quick on the coolant test, pressure it up many times, if its leaking coolant into the oil, you should be able to pull the drainplug and let the coolant drain out, the coolant will go right to the bottom of the oil pan and out the drain before any oil does.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

LT1's don't have any coolant passages between the intake and the head. Only the head and the block.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

I guess the result is failed? pressured it at 18 psi roughly. within the past 10 minutes it's down to 14 and still falling where do i go from here? can the car still be driven? I can't tell if i'm loosing coolant or the coolant is just getting out the air (flushed recently) how ever there was not even 1/2 inch missing from the neck line this time, best it's been within the 2 days.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

MOTHER EFFING PIECE OF ARGF Suspected oil had a milkshake look to it, presure test failed AND i happen to have the coolant still laying in my garage floor in the container, i look at it and it's freaking black with allllllllllllllllll the oil sitting right on top. looks like a freaking oil spill happened in my coolant pan this site needs a jumping off a cliff smilie.
WTF do i do now, no point in trying to diagnose more is there, gasket needs replaced? OH and after the pressure test my coolant was down like an inch

any one is south jersey want to help someone out.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes of course it can. They can blow and get coolant into the oil, they can blow and get combustion pressure into the reservoir, and they can also blow and burn coolant. Or a combination of all three...

Pull the heads and have them surfaced. Do both sides.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Teching In

wait, whats the story about the coolant in the bucket? whats it from?????
Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by superbee
wait, whats the story about the coolant in the bucket? whats it from?????
2 days ago i think? drained the coolant and it looked fine at the time. Happened to see it tonight and noticed it was black. I went blew in it and saw it was a small oil puddle sitting on the surface, underneath all the coolant.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to drain the oil, pressurize the coolant system, and see if coolant drips out the plug. Leave it over night and see if you have coolant coming out of the oil pan the next morning.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

This confirms it? Woulnt the oil in coolant and coolant dropping confirm ?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well it could be a warped/cracked head as well, however no way to know for certain until you take the heads off. What you do know now is something is not right. You should be able to tell if coolant is getting into your cylinder(s) by examining the spark plugs to see if one or more are cleaner than the others. Take the heads off and examine the gaskets closely. I would highly suggest you take the heads to a machine shop to have them pressure tested and checked to see if the surfaces are true or need to be milled. Last thing you want to do is just slap the heads back on and find yourself in the same situation.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Don't run the engine any more or you will wipe out the bearings

Quick Reply: Can a headgasket be blown with only ONE symptom?