LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine no-start with speedometer moving while cranking

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine no-start with speedometer moving while cranking

I have a 1993 Camaro Z28 with a manual transmission. The car has been driving fine as of late, except for an occasional check engine light flashing off and on randomly while driving at highway speeds. Code 63, which I believe is for the right oxygen sensor. It has driven fine though for the past few months like this. The problem is this afternoon, I went for a state inspection and left from there with no hitch. Stopped on my way home at a friend's place and went to leave and the car would not start. I cranked again and it started and idled for about 5 seconds and started to sputter and bogged down until it died. I crank the engine again with no start. Repeated this a few times till it started again and it did the same, ran for a few seconds and died again. I let it sit for a few minutes before trying again. This time when I tried starting the engine, it bogged up and sounded like it is choking and popping back through the intake. Also, strangely I noticed that the speedometer was sort of "climbing up", such as the more and longer I cranked the engine the speedometer would rise up 10 mph, 20 mph up to about 30 mph. Eventually it starts, but again dies after 3-5 secs of running. I took a chance and grabbed a new fuel filter I had and put it on and still the same thing. Except this time, it ran for a bit longer, but again died and now will not even start. It just cranks and cranks, but will not start. At first I thought this was a distributor problem, but from going through searches and posts on the forums and internet... I was wondering if this could be a fuel pump issue or something else. I am just confused about the speedometer rising like it does while I am cranking the engine. I appreciate any assistance or knowledge anyone may have to maybe push me in the right direction to getting this figured out. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check your fuel pressure
Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck does the speedometer thing when it has a bad battery connection.

As for the rest of the issue, start by checking if the security light stays on then for spark, then fuel pressure etc.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:26 AM

Thanks DisturbedTA & 05HD for both of your suggestions. I am looking to get a hold of a fuel pressure gauge by this weekend to check fuel pressure in depth further and run through the tests located on http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...rt-diagnostic/. So far, I have done much of the spark tests and everything seems to check out. Otherwise, I did have to replace the battery... but still will not start. I did test my coil as per this site... http://shbox.com/1/coil_testing.jpg. Now per his testing it shows a reading of 8500 ohms on all 4 terminals, whereas mine showed 33.4k ohms on all 4 terminals yesterday and today I checked again and showed 47.8k ohms on all 4 terminals. Would anyone know if the readings for my coil is too high of resistance to be any good possibly? The coil is a Hypertech if that matters at all.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Just in case anyone may have a similar issue, I have replaced the coil and the engine fired up with no issues. Apparently, the old Hypertech coil had too high of secondary resistance and caused too weak of a spark/current to the plug to fire correctly.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, the readings were too high.

Quick Reply: Engine no-start with speedometer moving while cranking