LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I know B-bodies use iron heads, but what about the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know B-bodies use iron heads, but what about the intake?

Hey guys, I currently have a '94 Impala SS engine that I'm looking to put into my '94 Camaro (the stock Z28 engine developed a rod knock). So I'm planning on swapping aluminum heads onto the Impala's LT1 before the install, but I wasn't sure about the intake manifold. I know that the heads are different, but are F-body intake manifolds the same as B-bodies? Should I use the Impala's intake manifold with aluminum heads?

Thanks guys
Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

manifolds are the same
Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boostedlt1
manifolds are the same
Thanks man, I appreciate the reply. Glad to know both cars use the same intake manifolds. Makes one thing easy lol. So to clarity, every B-body and F-Body uses aluminum intakes? Or every B-body and F-Body uses iron intakes?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:25 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

both intakes are aluminum.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

and the iron heads flow more than stock F-body AL heads.

the F-body/Vette LT1 made 270 FWHP and B-body made 260 FWHP. Cams are different
Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Teching In

I did a little searching around my area yesterday and found a guy selling ported heads for the Lt1. He won't ship them, but thankfully he's roughly 2 hours away. Here's a quote of his email:

Ported to the MAX and Polished heads with fresh 3 angle valve job and new seals, approx 7000 miles. Parting out car. Blew motor missing 3rd with NOS.

The heads are aluminum and about 7k miles since I ported them. They were mine so I didn't care how long it took me (about 40 hrs.). After I ported them I took them to get a 3 angle valve job and new seals. A good friend of mine owns the shop (still cost me 500.00). He and I were both surprised that the work on the heads gained me 7 tenths in the quarter over stock! I went from 14.4+- to 13.7+-. And yes the heads are complete. They should work fine on your motor. The valve covers might be different but you should have them on your blown motor.
I can probably talk him down to $600 for the heads without valve covers or roller rockers. I don't know much about ported head pricing, but that seems like a decent price for ported heads. Is it really possible to gain 7 tenths in the quarter by porting? Or is he pulling my chain a bit a bit?

He also has 1.6 ratio Crane Gold Race roller rockers 3/8" stud self aligning for $275 obo which I might also pick up, but I heard that Comp Pro Magnum Rocker Arms-Self Aligning (1318-16) were much more quiet than the Crane Golds.

I also found a guy much closer to me selling stock aluminum heads, which he had checked for cracks and such. He decided to go aftermarket for heads so he offered them to me for $100.

So it comes down to ported "to the max" heads for $600 or stock aluminum heads that were checked out by a local shop. My budget is tight, but these two sets of heads are definitely within my budget. Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

Also, for what it's worth, I might be going with a Crane 227 or CC503 cam.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Ported to the "max" does not mean jack. I would RUN far away from them. That's just me though. For a few hundred more you could have a great set of heads that are proven....
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Intakes are the same.

Aluminum heads have smaller combustion chambers and the cams are different.

Iron 64 CC aluminum claims on line are 52 - 54 CC

Iron cam is 191/196 (.421/.431) Aluminum is 202/208 (.450/.460)

If you try to use the small cam with ALuminum heads you will have trouble so if you change heads use matching cam.

Good luck
Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Teching In

I thought $600 for ported heads sounded too good to be true. Yea when I read "ported to the max" I had to put it in quotes. I was a little leery myself.

Technically I still have the aluminum heads that are still on the rod knocked stock engine, but I was hoping to stay away from re-using any questionable parts. The car had an oil leak and was burning oil too prior to the rod knock, so I'm not sure what exactly is to blame. It's most likely the intake manifold, but I figured it wasn't worth re-using the stock Camaro's head and bringing over problems to the much better running Impala engine.

Quick Reply: I know B-bodies use iron heads, but what about the intake?