LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Crank Removal Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Removal Question...

Is it POSSIBLE to remove a crank from an engine without tearing the top end apart???

I JUST finished putting my engine back together and the chain on the hoist slipped and dropped my engine about 2ft onto the harmonic balancer...I didnt SEE any noticeable damage until I got everything back together and started the car...The balancer wobbles pretty bad. I can't tell yet if it is the balancer, the hub or the crank so I will be replacing the hub and balancer today to see if that fixes it...if it does then great! If not...I need to replace the crank...HOWEVER seeing as how I JUST got the engine back together after a full rebuild, I REALLY don't want to do it all over again...

SO, with that said, I am curious if it is possible to remove the crank, replace bearings, and install new crank without taking off the heads/intake manifold/cam/etc.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am fairly new to internals of the block and I am trying to learn.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
Is it POSSIBLE to remove a crank from an engine without tearing the top end apart???
Yes!

...SO, with that said, I am curious if it is possible to remove the crank, replace bearings, and install new crank without taking off the heads/intake manifold/cam/etc.
Yes with the engine out of the car and on an engine stand it is relatively easy.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

ALSO...my crank ia a cast crank...What are the chances it is bent? I have been hearing 2 sides to the story...several people say it will not bend it will crack or break...others say it can bend easily...Opinions/experiences??
Old 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Lastly for now...

IF the crank is NOT broken or bent...IF I put on a new balancer and hub nd the wobble stops...The car was driven for approximately 2 miles, never revved above 2100 rpm's, and parked. Had maybe a total of 15 minutes of TOTAL runtime after install...Since there was so much vibration and inbalance on the crank, would my bearings be ok? Anything else damaged?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

ALSO...my crank ia a cast crank...What are the chances it is bent? I have been hearing 2 sides to the story...several people say it will not bend it will crack or break...others say it can bend easily...Opinions/experiences??
I bent a cast crank on a Supercharged LT1, so they can be bent without breaking.

Lastly for now...

IF the crank is NOT broken or bent...IF I put on a new balancer and hub nd the wobble stops...The car was driven for approximately 2 miles, never revved above 2100 rpm's, and parked. Had maybe a total of 15 minutes of TOTAL runtime after install...Since there was so much vibration and inbalance on the crank, would my bearings be ok? Anything else damaged?
I will bet the bearings are fine. BUT if you have to pull the motor and change the crank, replacing bearings is a small investment.

No right or wrong answer just what makes you feel better. Given you inspect the bearings and see no damage obviously (if they spun you have a totally different problem...)

Good luck
Old 06-02-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude just throw a new balancer on it and see if it vibrates. If its smooth as silk your crank is probably not bent...
Old 06-09-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

The hits just keep slamming you dude. Sorry to hear it.

Quick Reply: Crank Removal Question...