Go Back   LS1TECH > SBC-BBC-LT1-LT4 PERFORMANCE > LT1-LT4 Modifications
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

LT1-LT4 Modifications
1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Teching In
1996 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 0
Default LT1 has spark but no fuel pressure

Okay this may sound like an obvious fuel pump problem but the fuel pump is brand new. Vehicle is 96 camaro z28. Has a fuel pressure tester on schrader valve and it reads 0psi while cranking and while the pump primes. Its a brand new TRE 255 pump with brand new fuel filter. Tested opti at school and its fine, brand new ICM, brand new spark plugs and brand new wires. Pulled the wire out of the ICM and it sparks while cranking. Hooked it back up and pulled the other side out of the opti, it sparks while cranking. After cranking a few times all I smell is unburnt fuel from the engine bay. All fuses are good. After sitting for a few mins the car will act like its going to start but then just goes to back to just cranking. Any ideas?
1996CamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Are you sure the gauge you are using actually works? Have you tried it on another vehicle?
shbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Teching In
1996 Chevrolet Camaro

No, I can't really use it on another vehicle because the other two that I have don't have schrader valves. I suppose I could try it on a friends, but the gauge was brand new out of the box and I have measured 34psi with that gauge on this car Before I replaced the factory pump for this TRE. The car ran fine until connections came loose in the tank and I had to reconnect those. This pump has been a nightmare since day one.. But its brand new..
Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Teching In
1996 Chevrolet Camaro

Any other help will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

If you smell unburnt fuel and its not puddled up somewhere something has to be up with your gauge. sounds like you have fuel. did you change the filter?
94 Formula,3:23s, Headers, Borla Catback, 52mm TB, 3200 stall, LE2s, LE custom cam, Tuned by GregRob.
rich5368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Teching In
1996 Chevrolet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5368 View Post
If you smell unburnt fuel and its not puddled up somewhere something has to be up with your gauge. sounds like you have fuel. did you change the filter?
Brand new. Even took it off and checked to make sure. Its good
Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 9

Pop off the larger fuel line at the fuel rail, the feed one. Hold it in a bucket and have a buddy put the key to "on" but don't start crank the engine.

When the pump primes, you should have a good gush of fuel into the bucket.

BE CAREFUL of splashed fuel. NO SMOKING!
-MEDIUM BLUE METALIC 1999 Trans Am A4, 3.42 rear, Moser axels, Racetronic pump & wiring, LS6 intake manifold, ZR1 9's & 11's, SSBC 13" 4 piston friction, truck coil conversion, PCMforless tuned, Magnaflo stainless cat-back.
-71 Monte Carlo SS454 496 CID, 600HP
Paul Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
Teching In
1996 Chevrolet Camaro

Thanks Paul, I will try that first thing tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
TECH Resident
1986 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

Trader Rating: 1

Not to swipe the thread, but: My Chilton's shows a "prime" lead in the fuel pump circuit. Any one know where it is? Would be helpful for the OP.

Al 95 Z28 with two Walbro 255's in the tank
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
Village Troll
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

For some reason I've had to muck around with a fuel pressure gauge to get it to read pressure on the Schraeder valve whether the gauge is used or new. Try unfastening and refastening it several times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bell View Post
Pop off the larger fuel line at the fuel rail, the feed one. Hold it in a bucket and have a buddy put the key to "on" but don't start crank the engine.

When the pump primes, you should have a good gush of fuel into the bucket.

BE CAREFUL of splashed fuel. NO SMOKING!
The only thing that will tell you is if the pump works just enough to move fuel. Doesn't tell you at what pressure which can mean a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Not to swipe the thread, but: My Chilton's shows a "prime" lead in the fuel pump circuit. Any one know where it is? Would be helpful for the OP.

Al 95 Z28 with two Walbro 255's in the tank
Click the image to open in full size.
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS #597 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28SSilvest View Post
You sir, are a genius with the mind of a 10 year old.
SS RRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Teching In
1996 Chevrolet Camaro

Above post really didn't serve me any help but....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay I pulled the fuel pump assembly out and found that there was a pin hole sized hole in one of the two fuel lines. I replaced both fuel lines to be safe and put everything back together(all wiring was hooked up and looked up to par). Primed the system and still reading 0 psi. Went back and pulled the fuel lines above the tank apart and fuel sprayed everywhere, so the lines are priming, but why is there no fuel pressure?

I then unhooked the number one spark plug wire and put o screw driver very close to the end socket of the wire, no spark jumped. Replugged it in and unplugged the wire going from the opti to the coil, from the coil side and did the same thing, no spark. Plugged it back into the coil and unplugged the other end going to the opti, had spark. So i have narrowed it down to Opti, ICM, or Fuel pressure regulator. I also removed the vaccuum line on the back of the regulator and no fuel came out. Couldnt get back there to smell, but im guessing its fine. Any thoughts or Ideas before I just start replacing stuff till the problem is fixed?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to defaultexistence

Can u hear the pump cycle by turning on key? Did you install the filter with it flowing the correct way? Have you pulled a supply line off at the rails and cycled key to see if it's making it to the rails?

Last edited by defaultexistence; 08-08-2011 at 07:11 PM..
defaultexistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultexistence View Post
....seemif it's machining it to the rails?
I sound like that after I've had a few. Which I'm working on right now....
-MEDIUM BLUE METALIC 1999 Trans Am A4, 3.42 rear, Moser axels, Racetronic pump & wiring, LS6 intake manifold, ZR1 9's & 11's, SSBC 13" 4 piston friction, truck coil conversion, PCMforless tuned, Magnaflo stainless cat-back.
-71 Monte Carlo SS454 496 CID, 600HP
Paul Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to defaultexistence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bell View Post
I sound like that after I've had a few. Which I'm working on right now....
LOL! Yea auto correct
On the iPhone is a joke....
Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
86, 95, 96, camaro, diagram, fuel, lt1, noise, pop, pressure, prime, primes, pump, rail, regulator, spark, wiring