LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark at coil, no spark at plugs, wtf!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark at coil, no spark at plugs, wtf!!!???

i have great spark at coil no spark at plug wires, the opti was put in yesterday ran fine then just died while running, brand new plugs and new wires at the same time, i checked all connections at opti and ICM everything is perfect accept the white wire off the icm that should show voltage while cranking, i get nothing, is this the opti being fried? i hear its a hit or miss on these damn things to find a good one. could it dies after 10 minutes of run time? anything else i should check, i have no engine codes and its making my brain drizzle out my ears trying to figure this thing out. any help would be great!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Launching!

i have read every damn thread on this **** and have done every test that has been shown on the net and i get everything but the pulse cranking AC voltage from the ICM but today i had it tested and it was good. i need help im going crazy!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get your opti from? did you loctite your rotor? like you said optis can really be hit or miss. they can last you 1 minute or a decade.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Launching!

as much as i dont want to say, its an accel opti II that i got new of craigslist for 100 bucks and yes it was new in the box never opened, would me dropping it on the floor trying to get it to line up with the cam dowel effect anything lol i took the cap off and it didnt look damaged in anyway but maybe it fucked itself some how? oh well i think im just gunna slap another one on tomorrow and see what happens

but why dont i get AC voltage fromt he white wire off the ICM but yet i have amazing spark at the coil wire?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

lol knowing the optis rep for longevity im sure breathing on it would cause it to not work somehow.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The white wire at the ICM is the trigger wire from the PCM to the ICM circuitry. You may not read voltage on it but the chip/transistors in the ICM can. The ICM get's it's + voltage from the pink wire.

I'll say you did damage the cap when you dropped it. Go with the MSD cap & rotor.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

I would get a delco ICM just in case if it doesn't fix it just return it
Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Launching!

yea im sure i did, my hands had antifreeze all over them and as the devil does his duties it slipped righ out of my hands. but yea my original opti has the msd cap and rotor on it, those are only a few hundred miles old so imma buy a new one and use those
Old 10-11-2011, 12:27 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by 96SilverZ
I would get a delco ICM just in case if it doesn't fix it just return it
The coil gives spark. The ICM is good.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Launching!

correct so if the icm is sending feed to the coil to fire it and the opti harness is getting all the right feed to the connection then its the opti right? im worried its the PCM
Old 10-11-2011, 12:52 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Negative.

You stated that you have good spark coming out of the coil (i have amazing spark at the coil wire?) but not coming out of the Opti, meaning the distributor.

Let's get two things straight. The Opti part of the unit tells the PCM what's going on. The cap & rotor part of the unit sends the spark to the correct cylinder. Two functions, one unit.

So: If you have good spark coming out of the coil, the Opti part is working and the PCM is working and the ICM is working.

If you send known good spark into the cap & rotor and it doesn't come out, your problem lies in the cap and/or rotor.

Also:

Originally Posted by xrambbc
my original opti has the msd cap and rotor on it, those are only a few hundred miles old so imma buy a new one and use those
A few hundred miles on a cap & rotor is nothing. No need to buy new ones, use the MSD cap & rotor from the Opti unit you just removed. Wipe them clean with a clean dry rag and use locktite on the rotor screws.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Agreed on the MSD cap and rotor. First thing I did when I got my Delco unit was change the cap and rotor out and loctite the screws, then run a bead of rtv around the cap and opti, its basically waterproof now.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Accel opti is arguably the WORST aftermarket optispark available. The success stories with it are few and far between (probably why it was for sale on CL to begin with for such a cheap price).

Does anyone know if an MSD cap and rotor will fit/work properly on an Accel base? If it was me though I'd ditch that POS altogether and get an AC Delco opti.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

You trying to save some money is probably gonna cost you more in the long run now. Should of went with just a AC delco unit. Never have to worry.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The Accel opti is arguably the WORST aftermarket optispark available. The success stories with it are few and far between (probably why it was for sale on CL to begin with for such a cheap price).

Does anyone know if an MSD cap and rotor will fit/work properly on an Accel base? If it was me though I'd ditch that POS altogether and get an AC Delco opti.
what joe said^

this one is a no brainer........spark going into the opti but not back out........you obv have a rotor or cap issue.......
Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Launching!

yea i figured taking a short cut to save money wasnt the best idea and now look. well i got a ac delco one from the dealer today, so i will try this one. should i use the cap and rotor from msd or just stick with the ac delco and seal it up? i will open it up and lock tite the screws fro sure. thanks for all the help fellas really appreciate it, ill keep this post updated until i fix it, i hate dead end threads.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:09 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I vote using the MSD cap & rotor.

They are clean and in good shape, right?

And....DON'T DROP ANYTHING THIS TIME! lol...
Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Launching!

ha ha yes they are in perfect shape they have a most of 200 miles on them and there was no water damage or anything like that when i took it off. if the opti is working on the pcm side could i do the delteq coil set up? im goin to swap caps first since the opti is still sending info to the pcm and see if it starts before i put the WP back on and stuff, if it doesnt then ill swap everything and hopefully that will fix it, but id really like to go away from the opti if its worth it.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Delteq works but LTCC works better.

I'd say if you're going to a multi coil conversion, make the real jump to the LTCC system.

Bear in mind that both systems retain the opti pickup and neither has proven any power gains.

The benefit here is they both remove the high voltage section from the distributor.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 10-12-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Launching!

no need for power gains just want to end all my headaches. and replacing coils for 20 bucks and 2 8mm bolts and 10 minutes of labor sounds amazing right about now ha ha ha ill check out the ltcc

Quick Reply: Spark at coil, no spark at plugs, wtf!!!???