LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cooling fan relay bypass

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fan relay bypass

So i bought my car with a manual fan switch installed. cheap switch powered by ciggerette lighter routed directly to the fuse pannel under the hood in the cooling fan relay. I guess this method is the cheapest and most inificient way. This allows one fan to come on. The car never runs hotter than it should but i dont like how it is set up so i bought a new relay for the fuse pannel and the SLP fan override switch. i wired it up and put the new relay in the fuse pannell and nothing happened. no wires have been cut or spliced. my SES is also lit up reading QDM1 i believe witch is quad driver module 1. I can post pics apon request. Im not all that worried about the SES light im mostly worried about the way that it is wired now. I would like the second fan to be on on those really hot days.

I can post pics if needed. Bare in mind i really know close to nothing on this subject. pictures would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Follow the wires from the fans and make sure they aren't cut anywhere, also see where the pcm command "on" wire is that should trip that fan relay rather than the hard wired switch you have. Where are you in MO?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Teching In

A little west of st.louis. st Charles is the closest big city. I traced all the wires none are cut. How can I find out what wires are what? I literally know nothing on this subject. Wiring is not my thing lol.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

See if this helps:
http://shbox.com/1/fan_schematic_1995.jpg
This site is your friend!
http://shbox.com/page/index.html
Old 10-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Teching In

hell yeah. shbox is awesome. i have looked at that tho. didnt really help me. i have the slp fan switch installed. it should be plug and play no cutting required.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

this wire is jamed into the relay in the fuse pannel under the hood.

this is where the wire is directly routed behind the PCM and directly to the switch

this is what im shooting for. it is grounded. the switch is ran into the spot of the red switch above. i hope this helps

Quick Reply: cooling fan relay bypass