LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OTV plug wire kit???????

Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OTV plug wire kit???????

Does anyone make a kit for the OTV plug wire setup? I've seen just the brackets, but none with wires. I can't remember where I saw the brackets though
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Default Thunder Racing

Thunder Racing puts together a kit using Taylor wires. You cut the wires to length then and crimp on the ends. Comes with everything you'll need. I've used their kit before and was happy with it. Plus they are a site sponsor.

http://www.thunderracing.com
Old 03-29-2009, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres also a member here who sells the wires already cut/crimped...I think he uses MSD 8.5s.....Can't think of his name...I pieced together a kit from Summit before I knew the one from Thunder existed...I had to cut/crimp my own..Wasn't too bad...I used the Taylor Spiro-Pros and they've been great for the last 3 years...

--Alan
Old 03-29-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01fxst
Thunder Racing puts together a kit using Taylor wires. You cut the wires to length then and crimp on the ends. Comes with everything you'll need. I've used their kit before and was happy with it. Plus they are a site sponsor.

http://www.thunderracing.com
i have never been a fan of "cut to fit" wires. i dont feel that they make as good of a conncetion. if a company made wires to fit over valve covers i would be all over it, but i wouldnt put cut to fit wires on my car. however that is just my $.02. i have also heard people having issues with taylor wires. but i personally havent dealt with them. its all MSD for me.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Launching!

the guy on here is 99blancoSS and he make otvc kits, can see them on his website.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used the Taylor OTVC kit before, and hated it. Assembling your own wires is a pain in the ***. The Taylor wires don't have much tolerance to heat and are very prone to cracking, resulting in arcing.

I have since switched to conventional routing of MSD 8.5mm wires.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does conventional routing interfere with long tubes? I have a Taylor otvc kit but not sure if ill put it on unless I need to for the headers. I kinda like the look of conventional routing. Clean n stealthy
Old 03-29-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gregrob
Does conventional routing interfere with long tubes? I have a Taylor otvc kit but not sure if ill put it on unless I need to for the headers. I kinda like the look of conventional routing. Clean n stealthy
That's why I went back to stock routing.

As long as you keep the wires close to the engine block you'll be fine. I'm using fiberglass heat sleeves for extra insurance.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i went to the dyno and they told me to go back the way the factory had them,said it was better
Old 03-30-2009, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

I built my own wires using MSD 8.5 superconductor wires, MSD elbows, Taylor Opti Connectors, and wire dividers. If you know how to use a spark plug wire crimper this can easily be done. I have heard many horror stories about the thunder racing kit, my MSD's have worked and looked great under the hood. The 50 ft of wire is more than enough for our engines. MSD actually makes a universal kit for the LT1 that has everthing you need for like $140. The parts I pieced together only cost $90 from amazon.com

You def. need OTVC wires if you have any kind of headers. Manifolds are only good for stock wiring. I built these wires when I installed my headers and it took about 2 hours. I can't imagine trying to use the factory wires or install aftermarket wires in the factory postion.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Conventional rounting is cleaner yes, but you are risking burning a wire or boot. The fiberglass heat shields are dangerous if you have any oil leaks, with LT1's can have. They can cause a fire if soaked with oil or gas.

I did OTVC so I could build them and forget about any problems.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camerory

You def. need OTVC wires if you have any kind of headers. Manifolds are only good for stock wiring. I built these wires when I installed my headers and it took about 2 hours. I can't imagine trying to use the factory wires or install aftermarket wires in the factory postion.
This is not true at all. Both routing methods can be accomplished with no problem. I have used both setups. If you take your time and do it right there is nothing wrong with conventional routing.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by camerory
I have Duralast replacements (all I had at the time) with Accel head insulating sleeves at the plug boots, routed through factory wire looms, and I have Pacesetter uncoated LT headers. No problems whatsoever.
As long as you keep them insulated by the header primaries and keep them tucked towards the block, you'll be fine with almost any wire.

Hats off to your custom made kit though. I will be doing that when the time comes for new wires.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went OTVC with my MSD's simply for peace of mind, plus they are easier to work with. There is nothing wrong with crimping your own wires, as long as you take your time and do it right. You need to ohm them out as well to make sure they have the right resistance.

The wires are MSD 32129 (comes with the opti boot attached already, unlike the Taylor wires) and the Made For You 8mm looms.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I built my own OTVC wires with MSD wire components and Made For You looms. It wasn't difficult.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
This is not true at all. Both routing methods can be accomplished with no problem. I have used both setups. If you take your time and do it right there is nothing wrong with conventional routing.
Yes, Ive routed them in so many different ways over the years. And have never had a problem. You just have to take your time and do it right.
I have been running the Thunder racing Taylor OTVC kit for a few months now.
No problems at all, and it looks clean and neat. Measure everything correctly and route it so theres no chance of burning the wires. Theres really no right way to do it, just as long it works for you.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://estore.websitepros.com/2120533/Detail.bok?no=8
Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Do you happen to make a longer set that clears tall valve covers?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Do you happen to make a longer set that clears tall valve covers?

Yep I just did a set, customer asked for them to be 4" longer than the OTVC kit. I make them to order all the time, so any special requests are never and issue
Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Yep I just did a set, customer asked for them to be 4" longer than the OTVC kit. I make them to order all the time, so any special requests are never and issue
Awesome, I'll do some measuring and get back to you.
I found two damaged wires tonight while I was changing plugs and adjusting rockers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OTV plug wire kit???????