LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Considering a 94 firebird LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 94 firebird LT1

Hey guys, I'm looking at a very well cared for, 94 Firebird Formula. No leaks, clean in every aspect. My concern is this: Once the car is warm, and at a light, the oil pressure goes down to the point of "check gauges" light comes on. Once I pulled away from the stop, the "check gauges" light goes out, and the oil pressure is increased. I did not check it as we hit higher RPM's (3K plus rpm's). I'm looking at this car for my son's first vehicle. Do I have any concerns with the oil pressure issue. BTW, 108K on the clock.

Oh, btw, we've narrowed down the search to this vehicle, and a 02 bird with V6. Both have similar odometer readings.

Thanks for your imput fellas!

Last edited by DocT; 01-17-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Come on fellas! chime in please...any of you with a LT1...do you or don't you have a VERY low oil pressure reading while at stops???
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Go with the 02 v6. More reliable,better on gas, less to insure, and quite frankly, much safer for a "first car". I have seen many a young folk get into a lt1 with little driving experience and end up in a tree, light pole, other car, etc..etc...
Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

To answer your oil pressure question, I have a 94z. At start up the oil pressure is about mid way up the gauge maybe 60%. As the car warms up the needle lowers. At running temp and sitting at idle, my needle is just barely above the orange warning zone. Once on the throttle, the needle raises.

Crusing at 50mph with rmp around 2000 the gauge sits at about 45-50% I This is a very common issue/non issue with these cars.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "check gauges" is not normal.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
The "check gauges" is not normal.
I missed that part. Ya, my check gauges never comes on.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would y'all think that's just a oil pump issue, or a bearing issue? Or should we simply steer clear of this particular vehicle? Thanks for all the input fellas! I really appreciate anything you can add.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would avoid that particular car. If its has a dangerously low oil pressure issue, then who knows how long its been going on for. There could be underlying bearing issues. Who knows what else wasnt getting lubed properly.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You could see if they'll let you put a mechanical gauge on it to verify the oil pressure. It may just be an issue with the oil pressure switch.

Will a low oil pressure reading trigger the check gauges light on these cars?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DocT
Would y'all think that's just a oil pump issue, or a bearing issue? Or should we simply steer clear of this particular vehicle? Thanks for all the input fellas! I really appreciate anything you can add.
It could be anything in the oil pressure system from a bad sender, bad connections etc. You would need to install a mechanical gauge to compare the two gauges. If you like the car, invest in a cheapy mechanical gauge and compare numbers.

Joe
Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BTC
You could see if they'll let you put a mechanical gauge on it to verify the oil pressure. It may just be an issue with the oil pressure switch.

Will a low oil pressure reading trigger the check gauges light on these cars?
It should!

If the car runs right and makes no strange noises etc I would say that its a Sending unit that is bad and/or a bad connection. If it had dangerously low pressure the engine wouldnt survive long! BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTT verify that before buying!

Joe
Old 01-17-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just spoke with the seller. He said that they have had it checked out and the mech gauge said all good to go...so they replaced the sensor in the tank, and still same problem, so it must be the old gauge? He said the fuel gauge has a similar issue, but they simply haven't found a replacement gauge to replace it with unless they went with a a-pillar style gauge, etc. Any mechanical guys concur with that? Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

If the person that replaced the "sensor in the tank" to correct an issue with the oil pressure is the same person that said everything is good to go, you might want to get a second opinion. Depending upon the date of manufacture, the oil pressure switch will either be above the oil filter or at the rear of the intake manifold. I believe they moved it to the rear of the intake sometime during the '94 model run. At least I believe that's the case for Chevys. I'm not sure if the same would apply to Pontiacs.

They might have replaced a sending unit in the gas tank in an attempt to correct an issue with the fuel gauge.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BTC
If the person that replaced the "sensor in the tank" to correct an issue with the oil pressure is the same person that said everything is good to go, you might want to get a second opinion. Depending upon the date of manufacture, the oil pressure switch will either be above the oil filter or at the rear of the intake manifold. I believe they moved it to the rear of the intake sometime during the '94 model run. At least I believe that's the case for Chevys. I'm not sure if the same would apply to Pontiacs.

They might have replaced a sending unit in the gas tank in an attempt to correct an issue with the fuel gauge.

They have the records that showed normal oil pressure, and it was the sending unit that was replaced and not the oil pump.

All that being said, for the same price as this car (and I must admit that it is about as perfect as they come for being a 18ish year old car) there is a 2002 V6 that we're considering. A previous poster said that the newer V6 is more reliable. Do I have a second on that notion, or should I go with one that's been babied, and every receipt from everything done since it's beginning? What's your opinion?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

I'm a V8 kinda guy. If they have service records, that's a plus. As far as the whole safety issue regarding the LT1, that's your call. Which car does your son want, or does he know you're looking?

So, they've confirmed that it has good oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, they've replaced the oil pressure switch/sending unit, and it's still reading low oil pressure? Is that correct? Who confirmed the oil pressure, and what kind of records do they have indicating that it's ok.

How much looking have you done? What are they asking for the car?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

They did confirm adequate oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, and yes, you are correct: they replaced the sending unit, thinking the lower pressure was simply a product of the sending unit; however, once replaced the same indicator would come on while the vehicle was idling. So they assumed that since the mechanical gauge confirmed the adequate oil pressure, and the sending unit was replaced, the it must be the gauge itself malfunctioning. I am still waiting on the service records confirming them as the seller is still at work, but he assured me that they're there, and he's going to fax a copy to me.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

I would avoid that particular Z28, but I also would not buy a v6. It will get boring awfully quick. Personally I would not buy a sports car with a v6.

As far as that Z28 goes, people will tell you anything to sell a car, who knows whats really going on with it. I'd keep my eyes open for another Lt1 car, there easy to find.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless the price is very very good, id also skip on the 94 lt1. It seems like its not that big of a problem right now, but it can get to be a hassle later on. And thats not what we look for on a first car. I personally wouldnt worry about getting a lt1 v8 as a first car. Remember, these are 14 second cars. New v6 mustangs are even faster. Id look into getting a different lt1 car. Something with less problems. Also, im sure youll get a lot more help here with an lt1, than with a v6 engine.

A little more on subject, make sure that you pick a mechanic of YOUR choice. You never know if the current "mechanic" is just a friend of his trying to help him sell his car.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you would prefer the v8 vs the v6 car so if i really wanted the car i would take the car to a good mechanic you deal with and have him test the oil pressure and have the second opinion. Do not take this one guys word saying that tests were done and it was adequate. Hes just trying to make a sale and doesnt give two *****. Thats what you need to do IMO if you are set on this car. V6s are good cars and fairly reliable. Keep the sixer as a driver and buy another v8 car for weekend fun.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The person selling the '94 will lie out his *** about the low oil pressure to get you to buy it. Once you buy it then it's your problem. I would stay away from that car unless you had a mechanic of yours check out the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.
Also a V8 powered fbody is very fast for a teens first car. I have a 18 year old son and I would personally not get him something this fast for his first car. I'd say go with the 02 firebird, he gets the good lookin' car, you get peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Considering a 94 firebird LT1