LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hows my cam parts list look?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hows my cam parts list look?

Well i was going to do le2 heads/cam but financially i don't think ill be able to afford it specially if i break my rear lol. So im going to go with cam only so i got some left over if my rear end blows up. This is the parts list I have going so far with part numbers of them. Could you guys look over it and give me your thoughts. I want to make sure everything will work together.

Cam – LE custom cam $300
Springs – Comp Cam beehives 26918-16 - $170
Retainers – comp 7* 774-16 – $50
Locks – 7* comp locks 648-16 - $20
Rockers – Scorpion 1.6 NSA scp1003 - $210
Guide Plates – Trick flow guide plates TFS-30400623-8 - $27
Studs – ARP studs 134-7103 - $40
Lifters – ls7 lifters 12499225 - $130
Push Rods – hardened pushrods - $75

Thats what i have so far. I know i will need a couple more things like gaskets, timing chain (or set?), and shims.

Am i missing any parts?

When replacing the timing chain should i do the whole thing or just need a new chain?

Anyone know of a gasket "package" which has all needed gaskets together or do i need to peice it all together?

Any tools you guys would recommend? I looked at shbox's website and seen a few he says are needed. anyone have a brand they prefer.

Do our sponsers offer discounts if we purchase through them? I know it's only about $1000-1200 but money is kind of tight so if they offer any kind of discounts that would be great, plus i wouldn't have to purchase from what looks like 4 different stores now to get all the parts.

Any help/advice would be great!

thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why are lifters on the parts list?

I find it amazing how many people want to go the "budget" route but then endup buying unnecessary stuff and not actually saving anything.

You are at $1022 as listed. With a few things you don't likely need and without gaskets, valveseals.

Compare to these kits?
http://advancedinduction.com/LTX/AiLTxCamKit.php
Yeah it is a little more money but I will take a PSI spring over Comp, it has new locators, higher grade rocker studs, steel rockers, gaskets, valveseal installation tool and pushrod length checker.

Yes it is likely more than you would spend with your list once you add in gaskets but a lot of it is higher quality stuff as well.

Plus this is one stop shopping, not shipping from 4 places. Really a good value once you break it down.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Like said above your lifters can most likely be reused. The gaskets aren't all that bad. I think I spent a grand total of like $150 for all the gaskets for my head/cam swap. My stock lifters are all still in good working order so I opted to reuse them. If you're really careful taking the timing cover off you can do it without damaging the oil pan gasket. Don't forget to make sure you get a good seal on the front and back of your intake when you put it back together. Most will tell you to replace the entire timing set but if your sprockets are in good shape you can get away with just putting a new chain on. My opinion is if you're in there anyway why the heck not. That's up to you though. Check the slack in your cain if it's good it's good.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:17 PM

Didn't know i was going the "budget" route. Im just following the guides wrote on here on what to replace when you have a higher mileage motor.

thanks for the link it doesn't seem like it would be any more expensive if i added the tools/gaskets to my list but it does leave out the lifters which i thought was needed.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Inspect the lifters, if they aren't scarred up, and the roller moves freely and doesn't have excessive play, they are fine to reuse. I would recommend this psi springs over comp as well. Patriot dual golds are another solid choice.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96m6lt1
Didn't know i was going the "budget" route. Im just following the guides wrote on here on what to replace when you have a higher mileage motor.

thanks for the link it doesn't seem like it would be any more expensive if i added the tools/gaskets to my list but it does leave out the lifters which i thought was needed.
You're on the right track with your list. How many miles you have on the motor? If high mileage, I would go ahead and replace the lifters as well. You're pretty much going with a whole new valve train, so get new lifters. GL
Old 01-29-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I could suggest getting Howards springs.

You are at $240 with springs, locks and retainers
I paid $165 with a Howard setup that Lloyd recommend for my cam.

Just imo

Quick Reply: Hows my cam parts list look?