LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

JE HNS Rings/Hellfire rings

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JE HNS Rings/Hellfire rings

I've read a lot on the JE HNS & Sealed Power Hell Fire rings but it seems like most of the guys are talking about them in aluminum blocks. From my understanding the top ring is actually stronger than the cylinder walls and cause the walls to wear before the rings. Does anybody have any experience with them in a cast iron block and can give any feedback?

I'm running a set of the JE HNS rings (hybrid of the Hell Fire but the top ring is virtually the same) and am wondering how long they'll last before they really start to wear the cylinder walls.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zraffz
I've read a lot on the JE HNS & Sealed Power Hell Fire rings but it seems like most of the guys are talking about them in aluminum blocks. From my understanding the top ring is actually stronger than the cylinder walls and cause the walls to wear before the rings. Does anybody have any experience with them in a cast iron block and can give any feedback?

I'm running a set of the JE HNS rings (hybrid of the Hell Fire but the top ring is virtually the same) and am wondering how long they'll last before they really start to wear the cylinder walls.
I have been running the Hell Fire rings for years. Never had an issue.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
This is going in my notebook for go fast parts lol
Old 02-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
I want to drive the car on the street still though... not everyday but from what I've read they seem to start removing cross-hatching from the cylinder walls at around 5,000 miles. But I understand how the internet is, all hearsay. In either case, I'd rather get more than a few thousand miles out of my block (already .040" and it's studded up top and down below).

I contacted Total Seal to inquire about rings. I gave them my exact build and they suggested M3690 45 rings. For some reason Keith had recommended gapless top rings. yay or nay?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it is ring tension more than hardness that cause bore wear problems. That is why all of the OEM stuff is going towards lower and lower tension while still making a seal.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 05HD
I think it is ring tension more than hardness that cause bore wear problems. That is why all of the OEM stuff is going towards lower and lower tension while still making a seal.
I haven't the slightest clue. I've never built a motor that was anything special. I don't know the difference between the ring materials or what the rings are coated in.
Total Seal also makes a TNT line for nitrous, bit pricey but they claim they don't have the cylinder wear like the hellfires.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TSR-MT3690-45/

I really need help with this lol. I'd rather not have to worry about my cylinder walls prematurely wearing because of my rings.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zraffz
For some reason Keith had recommended gapless top rings. yay or nay?

just make sure you gap your second ring properly or ring flutter can form quickly......

Quick Reply: JE HNS Rings/Hellfire rings