LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 lt1 ignition problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 lt1 ignition problem...

Ok so im on opti number 8 in 13 years, the car wouldnt start so I did the normal testing and everything pointed towards the opti. So I replaced the opti and coil(just to be on the safe side), then the car fired right up. I loaded up and went to dayton for the ta nats, got there the car would run fine till it hit running temp for a bit then shut down, I replaced the ignition module but that was after the car cooled down for about 30 then it fired right up again thinking all was good till it did it again, so Im at a loss
Old 08-28-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

have you done the ignition coil spacer mod? whens the last time you changed plug wires? I dont think wires have much to do with it but hey its worth a shot.

Have you only replaced the ignition coil once this whole time? if so which one did you go with? OEM? Some of them have been known to cause issues so if you only replaced it once and now its doing this crap then maybe its your issue.

Is the car going into limp mode when its hot or does it just not want to run?

On a side note when I hovered over this thread I almost spit out the water I was drinking when I read "ok so Im on opti number 8"
Old 08-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coil was replaced wed, along with the opti. plugs and wires were done last year, the ICM was done sat, all was replaced with ac delco parts. and no body can figure out why Im eating optis like candy either( dealers etc.) The car ran fine then I parked it for 2 months while I pulled my headers off to get re coated and some other cosmetic stuff done, now Im having this problem.

Quick Reply: 96 lt1 ignition problem...