LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust backfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust backfire

So I've tried to search this issue and all I can find is intake backfire and backfire at idle. My my car has been backfiring anywhere above 2000rpms when I start opening up the throttle on the highway till I get full engagement on the gear. It's been doing it since I got the car but it really hasn't bothered me much. I wondered but kinda hoped flames were shooting out the back. The car has had the following refreshed:
New plugs
New opti

Stock old:
Old wires
Cats are gutted out

Sometimes above 3000rpms I'll let go of the throttle and I'll hear some rumbling in the exhaust. I'll let go of the throttle all the way then once I give it a hair of gas I'll hear the backfire. It goes away once I give it enough throttle to accelerate. I know it may be a cliche for LT1's but wondered why it does that.

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 11-20-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

The rumble when you let off the gas is normal, but the backfire definitely is not. I had one for the longest time and it ended up being a spark plug wire. I know it's a pain, but pull each wire and look at them/test them.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From my knowledge it is unburned fuel that ignites in the exhaust. Makes me wonder if all the plugs are firing when I give it a hair of gas?!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Come on now New Opti & Plugs but you cheaped out on Wires!!! Might need to back track a lil!! Just my 2cents!

Quick Reply: Exhaust backfire