LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 T/A cam ?s

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 T/A cam ?s

Hey guys im new here and was hopping i could get some good feedback. I have a 95 T/A 60k LT1 auto 4l60.Here are the things ive done k&n CAI,Mac mid length headers,electric cutout,removed the cat,Hypertech programmer3,ZO6 vet rims,18''rear,17''front ect. Im looking to upgrade to lt4 hot cam kit but ive been told the springs are weak some guys like them some dont also gm quit making them so they are hard to come buy.Maybe i can piece a kit together with some help from you guys cam,springs,clips,1.6. roller rockers etc. I dont want to swap heads. I would like a cam thats more aggressive then the LT4. I would like to stay under $800 so any help would be great!!! Thanks

Last edited by gsxrjad; 12-04-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to do a cam swap and stay under $800 TOTAL then I suggest you just do a nice set of 1.6 roller rocker, springs, guideplates and upgraded rocker studs and a real tune for now.

I would suggest Comp Ultra ProMagnum 1.6 non-SA rockers for 7/16" stud, Isky adjustable guideplates and ARP Pro 7/16" rocker arm studs and maybe a set of 915 beehives if the LT4 springs are hard to find. The LT4 springs are perfect for a stock cam with 1.6s though.

Then find a custom tuner you are comfortable with because the Hypertech has been documented to slow more cars down than it helps. Custom tuning or even the software and cables needed to datalog and program the LT1 are cheaper than the Hypertech. The hypertech was almost the worst choice you could have made for pcm modification the Jet piggyback module is the only thing I can think of that would be worse.

This is going to eat up the vast majority of your budget but on the plus side you will have a nice topend gain from the 1.6s, new springs and good programming and you will then be well set for a cam swap at a later date.

Your budget is not really reasonable.
Here is arguably the nicest LT1 cam "kit" available.
http://advancedinduction.com/LTX/AiLTxCamKit.php
When you start trying to piece together those components you find that pricing is reasonable for those very nice components. Thing is after that you still need fluids and tuning and such so even if you piece together a "kit" at half the cost of this kit, gaskets/fluids, tuning etc are going to put you over. This is without considering things like a fresh timing set, fresh cap and rotor, maybe plug wires while you are there, shop supplies like brake parts cleaner and rags. What if you find the rubber ring in the damper to be shot and need to replace that?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

For a cam swap and quality valvetrain components and a tune you are looking at right around $1000.00 if not a little more.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man, you can get an lt4 hot cam kit from jegs seems to have everything you need
http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...53463/10002/-1
hope this helps
Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No that doesn't help.
The springs are really meant for the LT4 which had hollow intake and sodium filled exhaust valves which are much lighter. The heavier LT1 valves make the springs marginal at best with that cam in an LT1. Then the rockers are a short slot design limiting their lift capacity to less than what modern cams typically run meaning they wont grow with your further modification atall.

Then there is the fact that the $130 leftover between the price of that and his budget cap is NOT enough for gaskets, possible pushrods, fluids and tuning. Then what if he should find a few hoses in need of replacement, or pushrods would be a good idea. How does he work that into the budget?

Let's go back to the springs for a second.
That is the stock LT4 spring and with the stock LT4 cam which is much smaller than the HOT they felt that spring necessary in combination with the lighter valves too.
Let's look specifically at the valves, the LT1 are 110gram intake 95 gram exhaust compared to 85gram intake 75 gram exhaust for the LT4. That is a VERY big difference.
The stock cam is also only .476/.479 for the LT4 compared to the .525 for the HOT.

Those springs were in the parts bin and can get by on the LT4 with that cam but on an LT1 IF they work OK at first they will quickly begin to allow some loss of valvetrain control. Just look at the valvetrain weight, lift differences and then consider the extra RPM as well.

OEM stuff is generally good quality BUT at the same time there are shortcuts taken to reuse existing part numbers and in some cases part numbers developed just so they can be used in racing, but a 100lbs on the seat LT4 spring doesn't really fit the bill of an OEM racing part, it was just what the stock LT4 needed and it got offered in this kit too so they could make a few bucks selling a kit. The insufficient spring wont really cause damage but it will cause power to drop off several hundred rpm sooner than necessary. So they aren't selling you something bad so much as selling you something that isn't quite as good as it could be.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yet the hotcam kit is one of the most popular, if not the most popular cladded whored cam/kit available. Its seems like its an "old mans" cam kit.

IMO, dont rev the **** out of it and it will be fine.

Sounds like you want an advanced induction kit for half cost.

Realistically your budget is just too damn low. Even for the hotcam kit I would budget 1500 dollars.

Quick Reply: 95 T/A cam ?s