LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition Coil Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Coil Question

So I've had a SES light on for while and when i checked it, it was some ignition circuit code (cant remember exactly) but i've noticed that the car starts fine when cold but cranks more than normal when hot. My friend said he had a very similar problem on a vortec suburban, and the coil was the root of the problem. Now i have a question for you guys. Should i buy an OEM coil or an aftermarket coil? Does it really matter? My car is a head/cam car if it makes a difference
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well if it WAS the coil I would go with the stock one.

It seemed like you were on the right direction in getting the car scanned but what steps did you take to correct the code? Specifically what code was it? "Some sort of ignition circuit code" doesn't give us much to go on.

So often do people dismiss the codes when they are there to tell you something is specifically wrong. There are how-tos in place for every single code. You need to pursue the code - not throw parts at the car.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me, i'm a chrysler certified mechanic, i know how important codes can be, but the car is at home, not at my shop. I cant remember the code off the top of my head. All i was really asking is if i should use a stock coil or some kind of aftermarket coil
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

A stock coil (especially for 96-7) is a good one. Perhaps it is breaking down when it gets hot, but that is just a guess. You should make sure the connections are good, clean and tight to it and the ICM.

Quick Reply: Ignition Coil Question