LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Draining the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Draining the gas tank

Well its time to put the motor back in the car but it has old gas from last summer in the tank. Anyways what if I just put the feed line into a gas can and turn the key on. Would that be a safe way to drain the tank. If no any other ways to drain the gas tank.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive always just used one of these to drain Tanks. Takes a little longer but no chance of harming your pump if you run it dry.http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html
Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Well its time to put the motor back in the car but it has old gas from last summer in the tank. Anyways what if I just put the feed line into a gas can and turn the key on. Would that be a safe way to drain the tank. If no any other ways to drain the gas tank.
Honestly, the gas is probably not that bad if it's from last summer.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
The pump will only run for 2 seconds or so, then shut off. If you want to run it continuously, use the prime connector under the hood (you jumper +12v to it). Just don't let it overheat as the tank gets low.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also if you run the pump disconnect the line from the fuel filter. This will reduce the discharge pressure of the pump allowing it to run much easier AND you'll flow more volume.

I do agree with the above though - don't run the tank low. If you disconnect the filter you are no longer returning fuel to the tank. The return fuel flows through the fuel pump bucket keeping it cool. As long as the bucket is submerged in fuel this isn't a problem but when you get down to 1/4 of a tank or so it's probably time to stop.

I will also agree with what DAVE00 said. Modern gasoline is much more stable over longer terms than that of years past so if it is only a summer old I'd drain as much as you can then just dilute it with fresh gas. You won't see any ill-effects.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I have herd ethonal gas has a 90 day shelf life before it starts going bad. I think the tank has 8-9 gallons in it. I only have a 5 gallon tank. Would like to get that out then put 10 fresh gallons in. Old ethonal free stuff is good for 1-2 years. I have seen this idea from spec miata guys when the go to do weight in the car. They will empty the tank that way. Its even a return less setup. May give it a shot. may do it the old way.

Quick Reply: Draining the gas tank